Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: minimal Knoppix

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2

    minimal Knoppix

    Hi all,

    Iīm new in Linux world and i have started with KNOPPIX. I have installed it in my computer and i think itīs cool . I have created some stuff apps and i want to run it in my new board (a VIA EPIA Board)

    I would like to install a minimal KNOPPIX (< 25Mb or less, only kernel) in a disk on module. I also want to load a driver (insmod mydriver.o)and my app. directly when i start the system.

    How could i do something like this?

    Thanks in advance!!

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    18
    It depends on what app you are running. The app may require certain things to run, like libraries and etc. And if its an app that uses a GUI, forget the 25 mb or less size.


    There are a few Linux distros out there that run on a floppy, and serve different purposes such as a firewall and etc.



    Let us know what app, and I can guide a little better.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro / Brazil
    Posts
    27
    Hi !

    Please, help me too...

    My idea is to remaster a minimal ISO with only xfree86 and fluxbox
    Is it possible to do this (quick and easily) from the last Knoppix version?
    What packages should I safely remove ?
    Any script to help?

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    try morphix instead but 25M is a bit hard for X. Just curious, why 25M. I give myself a bit more headroom(in terms of storage) at 128M(very reasonably priced CF) and 185M(the mini-CD).

    BTW, to me it is much easier to build from woody debootstrap than from KNOPPIX. I had a bareX like you mentioned in around 250M uncompressed(but latter add more 'essential' stuff) without removing those /usr/doc, /usr/share. Browser is an issue(I think a browser is a must for GUI) as Opera takes 25M(and there is licensing issue for distribution), Firebird/Mozilla about 40M. I used dillo instead but that is very limited and not really usable but a good temp solution for surfing and info lookup while apt-getting the 'real' stuff of a fresh install.

    BTW2, should you install fluxbox, first install the 0.14/0.17 from woody/sarge/sid then upgrade to the 0.9x cvs as 0.1x has quite some problems in window handling.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro / Brazil
    Posts
    27
    My plan is to burn a mini-cd with Openoffice. A kind of DamnSmall plus OpenOffice and Mozilla. I think it's possible... Or I am wrong ? I need help and opinions

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    It is possible but how small I don't know. Haven't tried OpenOffice yet, X + Mozilla + Fluxbox with all other unecessary things removed may be around 200-250M uncompressed. 50% compression would give about 100-125M, not exactly small but can be carried around in CF/mini-cd. So unless OO is really big, it may fit into a 185M mini-cd.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    If you use KDE, with Koffice and Konqueror, whould that be smaller? Koffice is enough for normal use, as is Konqueror. And the're faster and smaller. But KDE itself is bigger...

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by Superstoned
    If you use KDE, with Koffice and Konqueror, whould that be smaller? Koffice is enough for normal use, as is Konqueror. And the're faster and smaller. But KDE itself is bigger...
    Konqueror alone pull in 70M+ but I managed to have a based KDE(no game, no multi media, no Koffice) between 300-350M. In fact, there is mini-CD based KDE distro(using cloop). Even baseline GNOME 2.2 is possible but again very basic one(just browser, filer and a few things.) but I find KDE to be better in terms of features packed and I don't like anti-alias fonts in GNOME

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    hmmm, firebird instead of mozilla whould save some megs too?

    although I still prefer KDE

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by Superstoned
    hmmm, firebird instead of mozilla whould save some megs too?

    although I still prefer KDE
    My experience is not noticeable if we are talking about mozilla-browser(including xft, ssl) vs firebird. Within a few M(out of 40+). But I prefer mozilla as it has a language pack which I can add to change the menu languages as I am a Chinese user, no such thing in firebird.

    KDE IMO is still the best in terms of disk space, for so many things packed in so little space(relatively). With KDE, I don't need Mozilla(well in most case) as Konqueror have most of the features. That is a 40M+ saving. The eqivalent of Mozilla + a filer eats up quite some disk space.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Minimal Knoppix Install ? (to fit in a cdrom card ).
    By gabdab in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-22-2005, 02:05 PM
  2. minimal knoppix version
    By ihtiandr in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-14-2005, 08:40 PM
  3. Minimal Knoppix Live CD
    By dapissarenko in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-10-2004, 10:43 AM
  4. minimal packet filter
    By hampi in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-26-2003, 08:59 PM
  5. Virus Scanner / minimal knoppix version
    By freeballer in forum Ideas
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-11-2003, 03:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HYNIX 64GB (1X64GB) 2RX4 PC4-3200AA DDR4 SERVER MEMORY picture

HYNIX 64GB (1X64GB) 2RX4 PC4-3200AA DDR4 SERVER MEMORY

$600.00



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$288.19



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G9E2 MICRON 32GB (1X32GB) 2RX4 PC4-2933Y MEMORY picture

MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G9E2 MICRON 32GB (1X32GB) 2RX4 PC4-2933Y MEMORY

$229.00



Lot 100 SK hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933Y ECC Reg Server Memory RDIMM RAM picture

Lot 100 SK hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933Y ECC Reg Server Memory RDIMM RAM

$8599.00



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Nanya NT32GA72D4NFX3K-JR 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-3200AA K25 DDR4 RDIMM RAM Server Memory picture

Nanya NT32GA72D4NFX3K-JR 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-3200AA K25 DDR4 RDIMM RAM Server Memory

$199.99



32GB Kit 4x8GB Wintec DDR4-2133 ECC RDIMM VLP Server RAM picture

32GB Kit 4x8GB Wintec DDR4-2133 ECC RDIMM VLP Server RAM

$80.00



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98