My computer crashed and I inserted Knoppix (which had always worked before), but it hung at:
checking hard drive...etc/fstab.
I thought that Knoppix would run even if the HD was removed.
(posting this from library computer)
My computer crashed and I inserted Knoppix (which had always worked before), but it hung at:
checking hard drive...etc/fstab.
I thought that Knoppix would run even if the HD was removed.
(posting this from library computer)
well, it should... I guess it crashes somewhere when trying to read the HD. I think if you power off the hd it'll work (cuz it cant crash on reading the HD when there is none). then you can use your system.
So I am unable to use Knoppix to diagnose or retrieve anything from the HD?
TIA
try looking at the BIOS setting in CMOS prior to boot. Look ar IDE settings and delete drive if necessary from BION no need to unplug it
![]()
well, the question is - what crashed the hd? if the computer locks up when trying to acces the hd, it will be impossible to recover anything, cuz well - without accessing it...
but when its a bug in knoppix's way of accessing the h-disk or something like that, well, you'll be able to use something else, like another knoppix version, or another tool.
maybe try in the bios if the hd is ok, wheter you can auto-detect it etc etc. and try a dos-bootdisk, try to read the disk etc.
and I dont know wheter this is possible, but maybe can you boot knoppix without letting knoppix look for hd's, so you can try to work with them manually. maybe the mounting freezes knoppix, but it might be possible to use disktools?

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.19
G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only
$200.00
Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i
$228.00
Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00
OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99
Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95
NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID
$24.43
Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$300.00
Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99