well, it should... I guess it crashes somewhere when trying to read the HD. I think if you power off the hd it'll work (cuz it cant crash on reading the HD when there is none). then you can use your system.
My computer crashed and I inserted Knoppix (which had always worked before), but it hung at:
checking hard drive...etc/fstab.
I thought that Knoppix would run even if the HD was removed.
(posting this from library computer)
well, it should... I guess it crashes somewhere when trying to read the HD. I think if you power off the hd it'll work (cuz it cant crash on reading the HD when there is none). then you can use your system.
So I am unable to use Knoppix to diagnose or retrieve anything from the HD?
TIA
try looking at the BIOS setting in CMOS prior to boot. Look ar IDE settings and delete drive if necessary from BION no need to unplug it
![]()
well, the question is - what crashed the hd? if the computer locks up when trying to acces the hd, it will be impossible to recover anything, cuz well - without accessing it...
but when its a bug in knoppix's way of accessing the h-disk or something like that, well, you'll be able to use something else, like another knoppix version, or another tool.
maybe try in the bios if the hd is ok, wheter you can auto-detect it etc etc. and try a dos-bootdisk, try to read the disk etc.
and I dont know wheter this is possible, but maybe can you boot knoppix without letting knoppix look for hd's, so you can try to work with them manually. maybe the mounting freezes knoppix, but it might be possible to use disktools?

Compaq 242506-001 Netelligent 100 FDDI DAS Fiber SC PCI Network Adapter Vintage
$249.00
Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS
$228.19
Vintage Intel PC Camera Pack USB CICP3 825118 NOS Open Box Complete 2000
$39.99
Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99
vintage Motherboard Socket 370 with Celeron 1.30 Ghz 256MB
$62.99
Vintage Computer Peripherals Inc. Ramsack III ISA Memory Expansion 16bit 8 SIMM
$85.00
Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95
Vintage Retro Gaming | EU Plug W/US Adapter | Commodore 1084 CRT Color Monitor
$249.99
vintage Gateway motherboard, socket 370 1ghz cpu, 256mb ram, cables, power switc
$69.99
Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25" 3.5" Combo Drive 19307571-00
$199.99