Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: KDE UPGRADE AND KEYBOARD SETTING IN CONSOLE

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    23

    KDE UPGRADE AND KEYBOARD SETTING IN CONSOLE



    Hi.
    I'm from italy. I installed Knoppix 3.2 in my hd and, in my opinion it is wonderful but...I have two important questions. I searched on google and in this forum before to write you but I din''t find a solution.

    The first question is:

    I simply need to upgrade kde 3.1 to kde 3.1.3 but I don't understand the correct procedure.
    I read a lot of documentation (apt-howtoo) and kde.org but the result was 5 reinstallation of knoppix.
    Can someone provide a step by step guide to upgrade kde? What must I add in source.list? and apt command?
    Is incredible but this operation seems to be very hurd.

    The second quesiton:

    I'm from italy and I need to set my keyboard on console to work properly.
    In kde (and kde terminal) it works correctly but, if I open a console session (outside kde) the keyboard setting isnt' correct.
    When i run kbdconfig and I set the it-ibm it works correctly but, If I reboot the problem is always present.
    What files I need to modify to permanently set the italian keyboard??

    I apologize for this long test but...I think that at least the first question could be useful beacuse, I think that is incrediblle that a kde upgrade is so difficult and I think a lot of people could have tha same problem.

    thianks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    I can answer the second part (I use an Italian keyboard, too).

    The keyboard is determined by a script.

    /etc/init.d/keymap.sh

    as root, edit the line:

    loadkeys /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/us.kmap.gz

    to read

    loadkeys /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/it.kmap.gz

    and run

    /etc/init.d/keymap.sh reload

    (If you like, you can then remove the Italian flag from the Kde toolbar).

    The first part is harder. I think you need to edit out all references except those to unstable in your sources, run apt-get update, and start from there. Can anyone confirm the wisdom of this?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    12
    I myself just upgraded to KDE 3.1.3 so here is what I did:

    1. at the command line as root, type:
    $ kedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    2. Save a back-up copy, then delete everything in the file. Copy the following line and save:
    deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main
    (note, you might want a closer server than http.us.debian.org.debian, such as
    deb ftp://ftp.it.debian.org/debian unstable main
    3. At the command line as root type:
    $ apt-get update
    4. You can now start the copying process by typing:
    $ apt-get install xxxx
    where xxxx are the following files:

    arts
    kde-i18n-it <-- Only if you want Italian modifications to KDE
    kdeaddons
    kdeadmin
    kdeartwork
    kdebase
    kdebindings
    kdeedu
    kdegames
    kdegraphics
    kdelibs
    kdemultimedia
    kdenetwork
    kdepim
    kdetoys
    kdeutils
    quanta

    5. Restart your computer and you should be done!

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    23

    KDE - HOW TO INSTALL 2 VERSIONS

    Hi guys

    thansk a lot!!!!!!
    Now my keyboard work properly and kde upgrade 3.1.3 was installed without any problem.
    Now I'm reading to work with knoppix and study seriously debian.

    I have only another question:

    I read at an internet site that in Suse is possibile to install 2 version of kde with YAST.
    Is possibile to do the same with knoppix?
    For example, I woul like to have kde 3.1.2 (or kde 3.1.3) for work and kde 3.1.x (next release) to do some tests or, for example, to help kde.org submitting bugs; to sum up I woul like to be a beta-tester. I think it could be useful for the comunity and I woul like to help in translation.

    PS X aaronforjesus: my source.list now contains only the entry you suggested me. The old source.list contains a lot of other entries. Can I leave your source.list or must I to merge something???

    bye.
    Marco from Italy

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555

    Re: KDE - HOW TO INSTALL 2 VERSIONS

    Quote Originally Posted by terminator
    I read at an internet site that in Suse is possibile to install 2 version of kde with YAST.
    Is possibile to do the same with knoppix?
    For example, I woul like to have kde 3.1.2 (or kde 3.1.3) for work and kde 3.1.x (next release) to do some tests or, for example, to help kde.org submitting bugs; to sum up I woul like to be a beta-tester.
    I had such a setup with SuSE 7.1 indeed, where kdm offered both kde2 and
    kde3 session (besides your choice of additionally installed wm's). I think it
    only works smoothly for two major KDE releases, eg 2.x a 3.x, which under
    SuSE live respectively under /opt/kde2 and /opt/kde3.

    With binary debian packages, I don't think that's possible. You'd have to
    compile from source, specifying your installation target. (eg --prefix
    /usr/local/kdebeta). Getting the right set of source tarballs can be tricky,
    but then there's a helper script (whose name escapes me, sorry) which will
    automate the compilation of the whole bunch for you. This, I read, can
    literally take hours... You should probably ask on a KDE list before attempting it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    there is an distro, specially aimed at this kinda' things (having several versions of the same prog on your pc). this is done by adopting an m$ dos/winblows like directory structure.
    http://www.gobolinux.org/

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    23

    KDE - HOW TO INSTALL 2 VERSIONS

    Hi guys,

    I also think it is possible only compilying from source.
    Thanks a lot!!!!

    bye

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronforjesus
    I myself just upgraded to KDE 3.1.3 so here is what I did:

    1. at the command line as root, type:
    $ kedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    2. Save a back-up copy, then delete everything in the file. Copy the following line and save:
    deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main
    (note, you might want a closer server than http.us.debian.org.debian, such as
    deb ftp://ftp.it.debian.org/debian unstable main
    3. At the command line as root type:
    $ apt-get update
    4. You can now start the copying process by typing:
    $ apt-get install xxxx
    where xxxx are the following files:

    arts
    kde-i18n-it <-- Only if you want Italian modifications to KDE
    kdeaddons
    kdeadmin
    kdeartwork
    kdebase
    kdebindings
    kdeedu
    kdegames
    kdegraphics
    kdelibs
    kdemultimedia
    kdenetwork
    kdepim
    kdetoys
    kdeutils
    quanta

    5. Restart your computer and you should be done!
    ths doesnt work, I did exactly as you wrote, and I was told by apt-get:
    Sorry, arts is already the newest version.
    E: Couldn't find package kdebindings

    could you help me update kde?

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    23

    KDE UPGRADE

    Hi Superstoned,

    I had the same problem adding ftp://ftp.it.debian.org/debian. I don't know why but, I solved this problem just using the first mirror suggested by mitic aaronforjesus ( thanks a lot aaronforjesus!!!!!).
    Thus, edit your sources.list, delete all and add only the following entry:
    http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main
    I'm sure it will work correctly.


    bye

    TO HELP ITALIAN PEOPLE I ADD TRANSLATION:
    Questo problema si verifica con il secondo mirror suggerito da aaronforjesus.
    Usate il primo mirror.
    Come spiegato, editare il sources.list, cancellare tutto e lasciare solo:
    http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main.
    Questo risolverà il problema anche se non conosco il motivo x cui il secondo non funziona; forse il mirror è bacato.

    ciao

    KNOPPIX IS WONDERFUL AS THIS FORUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh

    I just screwed up KDE...

    I used apt-get to install kde. apt-get told me that he was able to install 3.1.3, but had to remove alot progs, like Koffice. I didnt want that, but - hey, i could install them later. so I chose yes. everything worked fine, until I rebooted.

    when starting kde, after I log in, everything seems to be messed up... looks like the fonts are at a widh of some 2 miles all windows are waaaay to wide to fit on the screen, even the kde menu is too wide. and I cant read anything, the fonts just seem to be gone, although they take the space of a spaceship

    anybody seen this before, and knows how to fix it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. keyboard language different from console language?
    By fingers99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-08-2005, 12:46 AM
  2. Mouse, Keyboard dead after upgrade
    By mco in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-19-2004, 04:33 PM
  3. Auto FSCK every 22 times & keyboard setting at boot
    By suoko in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-27-2003, 10:20 PM
  4. polish keyboard / console
    By adam0ski in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-25-2003, 08:16 AM
  5. /dev/console and init error after kernel upgrade (FIXED, FYI
    By davekempe in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-14-2003, 10:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server picture

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server

$109.99



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 512GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 512GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$128.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version picture

ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version

$136.15



Microsoft SQL Server 2022 Standard 24 Core unlimited CAL Retail License Package picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2022 Standard 24 Core unlimited CAL Retail License Package

$199.00



Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay picture

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay

$500.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99