-
Senior Member
registered user
saving home from hd-install, so i can install new knoppix
well, u've got it I guess. I have installed knoppix, but it looks like i have broken some things. I dont know enough about linux, to repair it, and I haven't configured etc yet. but if it is easy possible to save my home dir? can I simply copy it to my fat32 drive, and copy it back after the re-install? or whould that be stupid?
-
I usually tar and gzip my home folder and save it somewhere before updating. From a terminal do a 'man tar' and a 'man gzip' for more info. Once you have it tar'ed and gzip'ed, you could copy it to your fat32 drive.
After the new install, I'd go ahead and create my user account and home directory with useradd, adduser, or KDE User Manager. You can then do 'tar xzvf yourtarfile.tgz' to extract your old home directory and copy anything you need from it.
Later,
BR
-
Senior Member
registered user
Similar Threads
-
By Robert A. in forum Klik
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-01-2005, 02:10 PM
-
By hal8000 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-21-2005, 08:53 AM
-
By Jim_The_Obscure in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-12-2004, 07:10 PM
-
By turbines in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-21-2004, 07:53 AM
-
By IP in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-17-2003, 06:48 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$398.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Windows 11 PRO Laptop Notebook PC Computer, 8GB Ram, Webcam, Wifi, and HDMI
$144.00

Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core Ultra 5 Proces...
$749.99

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3 15.6" Full HD Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5 40 2025 - 8GB Memo...
$379.99

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3 15.3" 2k Touchscreen Laptop - AMD Ryzen 7 170 2025 - ...
$599.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 Core i5 2.6GHz 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 , Good
$229.99

Lenovo ThinkPad laptop T490 14" i5 8365U 16GB NEW 256gb SSD WIN 11 pro CAM WIFI
$249.99

Lenovo ThinkPad E16 Gen 2 Intel Core Ultra 5 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Laptop
$500.00