-
hd install with 2 minor problems
I apologize if this message is a dupe. I don't think my original attempt was successful.
I installed Knoppix onto an old machine of mine (233 mhz, 98mb RAM) using the install script. I was pleasantly surprised at the success, but I did encounter 2 small problems that I'd like to resolve:
1) The resolution came out to be 640x480. How can I change that to something else? I couldn't find an Xconfigurator program.
2) when I run df to see how much disk space I have free, I get a line explaining the information listed below the line (i.e., a header line), but I get no information. Why doesn't df work and how can I find out how much free space I have. WHe I use KDiskfree, it shows that the partition size for hda2 is N/A, the FULL % is N/A, and the amount free is 0. What up with that? Something very amiss here.
FWIW, here's my fstab and mtab:
fstab:
# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
/dev/hda2 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hda3 none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
# partitions found by Knoppix
#/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
#/dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
mtab:
none /proc proc rw 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0
As you can see, there aren't any mount points listed. What up with that?
Also, when I ssh'd over to that machine, the motd was:
Welcome to Knoppix (Kernel 2.4.20-xfs)
Could it be I have an xfs system and would that have anything to with my confusion?
-- so little understanding, so much confusion
-
The df issue is covered in the FAQ on this site.
Q: Why does "df" not list my root partition ("/")?
A: The entry for "/" is somehow missing in /etc/mtab. Either edit that file and add a correct line for "/" or better replace /etc/mtab with a link to /proc/mounts, thn everything should be shown. su -c "ln -sf /proc/mounts /etc/mtab"
-

Originally Posted by
Flibble
The df issue is covered in the FAQ on this site.
Q: Why does "df" not list my root partition ("/")?
A: The entry for "/" is somehow missing in /etc/mtab. Either edit that file and add a correct line for "/" or better replace /etc/mtab with a link to /proc/mounts, thn everything should be shown. su -c "ln -sf /proc/mounts /etc/mtab"
Thanks for the reply. That certainly did the trick. I remember looking through the FAQ but not seeing this one. I guess I must have missed that question.
After making the link to /proc/mounts, two questions arise:
1) where is /dev/root.OLD phsyically located, i.e., which partition? I assume that's the boot partition, which brings me to my next question...
2) why didn't Knoppix use the boot partition I already had? I
-
Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Flibble
1) where is /dev/root.OLD phsyically located, i.e., which partition? I assume that's the boot partition, which brings me to my next question...
2) why didn't Knoppix use the boot partition I already had? I
It's mounted at /initrd.
It is not /boot, but /boot/initrd.gz uncompressed to the ramdisk.
You can get rid of that and free the mem by
Code:
# ln -s /etc/init.d/initrd-tools /etc/rc5.d/S99initrd-tools
tom
Similar Threads
-
By xSauronx in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 14
Last Post: 06-16-2004, 12:20 PM
-
By the4windel in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-15-2004, 09:50 PM
-
By wolfgang_a_h in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-21-2003, 01:11 AM
-
By ndrake in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-29-2003, 02:26 AM
-
By Entropy42 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-13-2003, 06:38 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$49.99

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99