Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: mail-filtering for dummies

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    20

    mail-filtering for dummies

    I need someone to explain procmail, spamassassin, and all the zillion pieces of software that all seem to do the same thing, and how they work with mutt. I have mutt+exim+fetchmail, and I want/need to filter my normal emails to folders, and some to spamfolder.

    I need the help to be a live person, altho not necessarily real-time. Cuz I tried using how-tos before, and what I got was a procmail that filtered everything to nowhere. I had a valid-looking .procmailrc and it all looked right, but when I had it running I got no email, ever.

    If someone can help me on here, that'd be great, otherwise, I'd be thrilled with a suggestion as to where to get help. I've checked the knoppix irc-channel, as well as my usual irc linux-channel and nobody knows enuf about procmail to help.

    Thanks,
    sl

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: mail-filtering for dummies

    Quote Originally Posted by slc

    If someone can help me on here, that'd be great, otherwise, I'd be thrilled with a suggestion as to where to get help. I've checked the knoppix irc-channel, as well as my usual irc linux-channel and nobody knows enuf about procmail to help.

    Thanks,
    sl
    Got to the Debian Lists and sign up for the Debian User list ( note it is a high volume 200-300 emails a day ) or use a news reader to post to the list you should be able to get plenty of help with procmail there.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    20

    Okay!

    Signing up for a high-volume mailing list while I've got no filters sounds like an explosively bad idea, however I can certainly do newsgroups!!

    Hopefully they're equally well-populated.

    Thanks!
    sl

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    20

    But....

    For some reason I can't seem to get a post up, I post just like I would to any other group but it never shows up.
    I don't suppose you know why do you?


    sl

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: But....

    Quote Originally Posted by slc
    For some reason I can't seem to get a post up, I post just like I would to any other group but it never shows up.
    I don't suppose you know why do you?
    sl
    It could be having trouble getting through the news gateway you could try just posting to the list itself at [email protected] and ask that you be CC'd as you are not on the list just make sure when you reply that it is to the list not the person sending you the mail some people there can be very pariticular about gettting email that should be on the list itself. Also you should detail the steps you have already taken with procmail and you may want to search the archives too I have seen many post about this very thing the answer may already be there.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    20

    FOUND it!!

    I actually did a google search for "procmail for dummies" and I found this site.
    It's a GREAT thing for a newbie, or someone like me who's having problems with it. They tippy-toe you through each step, and even explain some functions of likely mail clients.

    http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/

    It works now!!! Wahooo!!!

    Thanks,
    sl

Similar Threads

  1. How to get mail to work?
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-05-2004, 12:01 AM
  2. new mail? How?
    By colin stewart in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 08:16 PM
  3. OT: in search of a spam-filtering mailhost
    By baldyeti in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-02-2003, 07:08 PM
  4. filtering internet content
    By dfield58 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-06-2003, 07:31 PM
  5. MAIL SERVER?
    By quakes in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-05-2003, 12:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts

$59.99



DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage picture

DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage

$74.99



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$299.99



Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



6 Vintage DEC Digital System Building Blocks - Flip Chips  picture

6 Vintage DEC Digital System Building Blocks - Flip Chips

$145.00



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation

$79.95



DEC Vintage Module/Board Collectable Vintage chip - 1 BROKEN LEG (BO) picture

DEC Vintage Module/Board Collectable Vintage chip - 1 BROKEN LEG (BO)

$200.00



Vintage DEC (Digital Equipment Corp) TK-50 Tape Drive picture

Vintage DEC (Digital Equipment Corp) TK-50 Tape Drive

$80.00



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC Digital M8933 module tape control TM03 common mode (B1) picture

Vintage DEC Digital M8933 module tape control TM03 common mode (B1)

$129.99