Hello,
I have been trying to be able to run lighter resource needing windows manager.
I can run them using a command in .xinitrc eg: "exec enlightenment"
But I can't seem to get "update-alternatives --config x-window-manager" to work.
The problem is I set what windows manager I want and I get a '*' next to it, but a '+' still remians next to 'metacity' (gnome)
"update-alternatives --config x-window-manager" output after running it before hand and selecting 8, below:
There are 11 alternatives which provide `x-window-manager'.
Selection Alternative
-----------------------------------------------
1 /usr/X11R6/bin/twm
2 /usr/bin/wmaker
3 /usr/bin/larswm
4 /usr/bin/xfwm
5 /usr/bin/startxfce
6 /usr/bin/icewm
7 /usr/bin/fluxbox
* 8 /usr/bin/enlightenment
9 /usr/bin/oroborus
+ 10 /usr/bin/metacity
11 /usr/bin/waimea
Enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number:
All help appreciated.
Balaclava BoB

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1690.40
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$105.99
Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$452.53
Western Digital 1TB SSD, PC SN730 NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 2280 SDBPNTY-1T00 WD
$99.50
Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99
SanDisk Ultra 3D SSD 1TB, SDSSDH3 2.5" SSD Drive SATA III 6GB/S (SDSSDH3-1T02)
$138.56