Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Hang on CD boot initialization

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2

    Hang on CD boot initialization

    Hello,

    First I get this message displayed:

    modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module block-major-2

    Later during initialization it hangs at this screen display:

    Scanning for Harddisk partitions and creating /etc/fstab...

    I'm trying to boot from CD on a Toshiba Portege laptop with Windows XP installed, but I'm not trying to make the C: drive (NTFS) writable. I don't even care if it's readable at this point.

    I've tried using noswap with the same results.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks, Rob

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4
    hi. I've got exactly the same problem like yours. Have you found a solution to it yet?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2
    No, I just gave up...

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2

    Try this

    I think I was getting that message when I was having problems and my research leaned towards the message being to do with not having an internal FDD. My notebook uses a USB FDD and I didn't have it attached and received that message. You might also want to try playing with the NOAPIC setting to see whether that helps, as I had to include that to get mine to boot. Something to do with lack of APIC support for SIS900 based systems....

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1
    Having same issue as RobM.

    Running a Toshiba Sat 1800
    Stops init at Scanning for harddisk partitions and creating /etc/fstab...

    Also tried noswap

    Help, anyone?!?!?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    7

    Same problem

    Same problem here, all Knoppix ISO images post-March 2003 bomb on my system, can't seem to make them boot successfully.

    The last thing I see on screen is:

    Code:
    Scanning for harddisk partitions and creating /etc/fstab...
    - The cursor freezes right there & whole system locks...

    - The problem occurs even if I use cheat-codes:

    knoppix noswap nohw noapic nosmp noapm 2
    knoppix dma
    knoppix failsafe

    ..Looks like I am down to the motherboard now, - Tyan S2460 dual-proc. systemboard with all optional PCI cards pulled.. I have also tried a different video card, but no change..

    Actually this systemboard failed and has been replaced, so it's definitely good (in that respect) but can't run knoppix ?!

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3
    Scanning for Harddisk partitions and creating /etc/fstab...
    3.3 does the same thing on my Toshiba Satellite, 3.2 worked just fine.

    I entered "Ctl-c" and it continued to boot.

    /dev/hda shows up in /etc/fstab but the system can not mount it?

    Max

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2
    Dido here. I have a Toshiba satellite 1800 series.
    I have Mandrake 9.2 in one partition (with swap partition) and XP in another. I also have a fat32 shared partition that I use between the two OS's.
    My system also hangs as the same point.
    However, 3.2 works without any glitch.

    -Thas

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    157
    I had a similar problem recently on a toshiba satellite 18something-or-other, and as I recall the solution was a cheat code something along the lines of
    Code:
    dma=hda dma=hdb
    or perhaps the other way around, I can't quite remember.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2
    Thank you.
    dma=hda did the trick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Hang during boot-up
    By yhw22 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-03-2005, 04:16 PM
  2. Live CD has caused windows ME to hang during boot!!
    By mightymidget in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-23-2004, 08:44 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-20-2004, 04:25 AM
  4. Boot hang on Dual Video Card With Knoppix
    By Threv in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-13-2004, 04:48 PM
  5. Knoppix hang on boot after detecting the mouse...
    By tommydl in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-08-2004, 01:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14" 16GB, Storm Gray

$356.80



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$398.99



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.6

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.6" Full HD Laptop - Intel Processor N355 2025- 8G...

$349.99



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3 15.6

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3 15.6" Full HD Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5 40 2025 - 8GB Memo...

$379.99



Lenovo IdeaPad 5 2-in-1 16

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 2-in-1 16" WUXGA Touch Ryzen 7 8845HS 16GB 512GB SSD FPReader

$571.00



Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core i5-1135G7@2.40GHz Laptop picture

Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core [email protected] Laptop

$220.36



Lenovo Thinkbook 15 G2, i5 1135G7, 256GB, 8GB, 20VE003GUS no OS, Iris Xe, 15.6

Lenovo Thinkbook 15 G2, i5 1135G7, 256GB, 8GB, 20VE003GUS no OS, Iris Xe, 15.6"

$200.00