hi. I've got exactly the same problem like yours. Have you found a solution to it yet?
Hello,
First I get this message displayed:
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module block-major-2
Later during initialization it hangs at this screen display:
Scanning for Harddisk partitions and creating /etc/fstab...
I'm trying to boot from CD on a Toshiba Portege laptop with Windows XP installed, but I'm not trying to make the C: drive (NTFS) writable. I don't even care if it's readable at this point.
I've tried using noswap with the same results.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Rob
hi. I've got exactly the same problem like yours. Have you found a solution to it yet?
No, I just gave up...
I think I was getting that message when I was having problems and my research leaned towards the message being to do with not having an internal FDD. My notebook uses a USB FDD and I didn't have it attached and received that message. You might also want to try playing with the NOAPIC setting to see whether that helps, as I had to include that to get mine to boot. Something to do with lack of APIC support for SIS900 based systems....
Having same issue as RobM.
Running a Toshiba Sat 1800
Stops init at Scanning for harddisk partitions and creating /etc/fstab...
Also tried noswap
Help, anyone?!?!?
Same problem here, all Knoppix ISO images post-March 2003 bomb on my system, can't seem to make them boot successfully.
The last thing I see on screen is:
- The cursor freezes right there & whole system locks...Code:Scanning for harddisk partitions and creating /etc/fstab...
- The problem occurs even if I use cheat-codes:
knoppix noswap nohw noapic nosmp noapm 2
knoppix dma
knoppix failsafe
..Looks like I am down to the motherboard now, - Tyan S2460 dual-proc. systemboard with all optional PCI cards pulled.. I have also tried a different video card, but no change..
Actually this systemboard failed and has been replaced, so it's definitely good (in that respect) but can't run knoppix ?!
3.3 does the same thing on my Toshiba Satellite, 3.2 worked just fine.Scanning for Harddisk partitions and creating /etc/fstab...
I entered "Ctl-c" and it continued to boot.
/dev/hda shows up in /etc/fstab but the system can not mount it?
Max
Dido here. I have a Toshiba satellite 1800 series.
I have Mandrake 9.2 in one partition (with swap partition) and XP in another. I also have a fat32 shared partition that I use between the two OS's.
My system also hangs as the same point.
However, 3.2 works without any glitch.
-Thas
I had a similar problem recently on a toshiba satellite 18something-or-other, and as I recall the solution was a cheat code something along the lines ofor perhaps the other way around, I can't quite remember.Code:dma=hda dma=hdb
Thank you.
dma=hda did the trick.

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots
$745.00
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00
Remote Desktop User & Device RDS CALs for Windows Server 2025, 2022 & 2019
$174.99