-
Senior Member
registered user
gpenguin,
I dont use the "kde" screen saver, it didnt have as many, or "better", or more likely, unique screensavers - ones that are not found within the "kde" screensaver system. As you have found out, kde does not even include that many "default" screensaver, the random & blank savers.
You either have to have KDE screensavers included with the Distro, on the LiveCD, or, you have to be able to "install" them, i.e. have a hard drive install, able to use klik, or Poor Mans, to be able to install with. (Even with xscreensaver)
I use xscreensaver, and I dont use the menu to change, configure, or start, the screensaver... I use scripts, and a desktop file to start them...
Ms. Cuddles
-=- Come do the Dark Side - We have penguins -=-
-
Default Passwords a Necessity!
Sorry for being such a tard: I figured this whole mess out but digging just a little deeper. So sorry.
antweb: I tried your solution. I booted the 5.0.1 DVD and locked the screen without setting a root password or a password for the user 'knoppix'. Your 'fix' mandates that one already knows the password.
My bigger question, I guess, is there has GOT to already be a defaul root password...right?
As un: knoppix, I can lock my screen and Knoppix requires a password for me to unlock it.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Default Passwords a Necessity!

Originally Posted by
linuxchica
My bigger question, I guess, is there has GOT to already be a defaul root password...right?
As un: knoppix, I can lock my screen and Knoppix requires a password for me to unlock it.
Aaaa, no... Knoppix DOES NOT already have a default password... for either a user account, or, root...
The whole thing about Knoppix is, it is intended as a LiveCD, and is not intended to be hard drive installed... Which, when you do those things, during the install, it does create a user, and a root, account, both with passwords that you enter... BUT, the LiveCD does not contain any passwords.
Think about it... If it did have a password, it would have to be "publicly" advertised, and if that were the case, you wouldnt likely change it, and thus, an attacker would only need to find out you are running Knoppix, and, attempt the default password. The way it stands now, you dont change it to something, personal, then you leave yourself open to attacks... It is already "publicly" advertised that Knoppix does NOT contain any passwords, so, most people, change it when they boot... But, then again, the LiveCD is read-only, and runs in memory only. So, not much someone can "infiltrate" on a CD boot? Right? (unless, of course, you mount up a few hard drives, as, say, read/write, and if you do, I would suggest that setting a root password is impairative)
Ms. Cuddles
-=- Come to the Dark Side - We have penguins -=-
-
Senior Member
registered user
Cuddles wrote:
>>
(unless, of course, you mount up a few hard drives, as, say, read/write, and if you do, I would suggest that setting a root password is impairative)
>>
Thats a good point, using the persistence facility, "knoppix home', can't really remember of hand but it will be in the docs cheatcode list, is a good idea. That is, a file on your hard drive that can be loaded at boot to provide a degree of personalisation. Your home dir and whatever you decide to include.
jm
----------------------------
http://counter.li.org
#313537
Similar Threads
-
By black_out in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-08-2005, 07:39 PM
-
By atrick-pay in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-03-2005, 05:04 AM
-
By Zeus in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-21-2005, 03:52 AM
-
By hobbes5683 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-03-2005, 04:43 PM
-
By darksky in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-09-2003, 02:37 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM
$139.99

Lot of 18 Mixed Brands PC4 32GB 2400T-R Server RAM
$2879.99

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

SK Hynix 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4-2400 ECC RDIMM Server RAM HMA84GR7AFR4N-UH Tested
$235.00

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

Sandisk 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB Cruzer Blade Flash Drive Memory Stick USB Lot Pack
$134.90

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.55

Microsoft Windows 11 Home 64-Bit USB Flash Drive + Key Retail Box - Original
$39.88