Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: netcardconfig?

  1. #11
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    11
    SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (connecter is RJ-45)


    sudo ifconfig looks like this>


    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo ifconfig
    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0


    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX

    packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:400 (400.0 b) TX

    bytes:400 (400.0 b)

    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$

  2. #12
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    11
    think I see the problem, I entered the command ifconfig -a, the return shows

    Ethernet HWaddr 00:00:00:00:00:00

    I think this is my MAC Address (physical address) and the string of 12 zeros
    shows it's missing, also, this was the only address that was NOT asked for when
    I set up the connection, I'm sure this is it, but how do I enter the MAC address
    manually, I have the 12 digit string.

    here's the return for ifconfig -a

    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ ifconfig -a
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:00:00:00:00:00
    BROADCAST MULTICAST

    MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:982 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:5 errors:0 dropped:0

    overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
    RX bytes:59790 (58.3 KiB) TX bytes:1710 (1.6 KiB)


    Interrupt:3 Base address:0xd800

    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0


    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX

    packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:400 (400.0 b) TX

    bytes:400 (400.0 b)

    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$

  3. #13
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    37
    Nah, the lo stands for loopback which is a local only address used for testing. Your network card is not getting detected and the module is not getting loaded. If you do a 'sudo lsmod' command we can see which modules are getting loaded. Also do a 'sudo lspci' (both w/o the quotes) to find out exactly how linux is seeing your network card.

    Unfortunately I wouldn't know how to install this card from the live CD. Anyone else able to assist?

  4. #14
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    11
    yes, ferreter my brother, I can see the card needs to get detected, but I don't think it's gonna happen, will run those commands & post back here, (probably after much beer) maybe a eureka moment will ensue! can I add that using windows the same thing happens nothing connects until I input the MAC address, from the moment the MAC is entered everything fires up.

  5. #15
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    11
    lsmod

    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo lsmod
    Module Size Used by Not tainted
    autofs4 8724 1 (autoclean)
    af_packet 13448 0 (autoclean)
    ext3 62912 0 (autoclean)
    jbd 45716 0 (autoclean) [ext3]
    nls_iso8859-1 2876 1 (autoclean)
    nls_cp437 4380 1 (autoclean)
    agpgart 34592 0 (unused)
    cmpci 33428 0
    soundcore 3364 4 [cmpci]
    sis900 12460 0
    serial 51844 0 (autoclean)
    usb-ohci 18152 0 (unused)
    usbcore 57376 1 [usb-ohci]
    apm 9768 2
    rtc 6908 0 (autoclean)
    cloop 7940 2
    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$

    ...........

    lspci

    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 730 Host (rev 02)
    00:00.1 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE] (rev d0)
    00:01.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 85C503/5513
    00:01.1 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 10/100 Ethernet (rev 82)
    00:01.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS7001 USB Controller (rev 07)
    00:01.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS7001 USB Controller (rev 07)
    00:02.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS 530 Virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge (AGP)
    00:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738 (rev 10)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11DDR [GeForce2 MX 100 DDR/200 DDR] (rev b2)
    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$

  6. #16
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak
    yes, ferreter my brother, I can see the card needs to get detected, but I don't think it's gonna happen, will run those commands & post back here, (probably after much beer) maybe a eureka moment will ensue! can I add that using windows the same thing happens nothing connects until I input the MAC address, from the moment the MAC is entered everything fires up.
    I took a quick look at man interfaces there seems to be a couple of ways to set the MAC address you may want to try hwaddress ether mac_address_needed as a line in your interfaces file for the eth0 maybe with the pre-up command included as well on the line.

  7. #17
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    11
    tried to add the line " hwaddress ether mac_address_needed " to the interfaces file, but wasn't allowed, keep getting " you do not have write permission". I guess because I'm using the evaluation CD. Is there a way around this?

  8. #18
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    11
    Finally, I'm connected. I swapped the NIC connection on the modem to a USB connection,
    when I ran ifconfig -a it showed the HWaddr had been assigned and I got online straight away.
    Thanks to everyone who responded in this thread.


    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:40x:7E:76:17
    inet addr:82.35.xxx.67 Bcast:255.255.255.255 Mask:255.255.248.0
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:117047 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:826 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
    RX bytes:7514486 (7.1 MiB) TX bytes:120197 (117.3 KiB)


  9. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    5
    that hard to add inet connection?

    well... congratulations anyways

  10. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    9
    help me. . .
    i got the same problem as zak HAD
    i can't connect :S
    i enter all the info correct but i just can't connect to the web
    plz help me...
    i got cable and all the info i need

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. netcardconfig doesn't work after apt-get install
    By dobell in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-19-2004, 10:09 PM
  2. Netcardconfig not keeping settings
    By koselan in forum Networking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-19-2004, 05:01 PM
  3. efficient idsl netcardconfig?
    By drakon34 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 12:30 AM
  4. quarrel with Netcardconfig
    By arthag in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-31-2004, 10:31 PM
  5. netcardconfig doesn't work
    By JNeuhoff in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-23-2003, 04:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.98