Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Controling directory structure on a remastered CD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2

    Controling directory structure on a remastered CD

    Hi,

    I appologize if my questions have been answerd before
    or if they stem from lack of linux savy
    I have been looking everywhere for a lead and couldn't find the answer...

    I have bee trying to remaster a CD using custom directory
    structres.
    The remaster process works great thanks to the instructions provided in the FAQ.

    But I have 2 problems:

    1. After remastering and booting, directories like /var which are mapped to /ramdisk/var (which is writable), contain symlinks to /Knoppix/Var (which is not writable).

    I have noticed that all the executable files inside /var become symlinks to /Knoppix/var/ and other files don't change.
    When I look at my original source directory the executable files are there, they are not symlinks !!!

    My question is how do I control which directories point
    to the ramdisk and how do I prevent Knoppix from
    replacing my executables with symlinks to the non writable CD.


    2. I need to add directories to the remastered root
    and have them writable.
    I was thinking of adding symlinks.
    Where should I add the symlinks ?
    Is the /KNOPPIX/knoppix.sh the right place to do that ?

    Thank you for your help

    Fuzzy

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    I think all that symlinking takes place inside miniroot.gz.

    Why not just add your directories to /home/knoppix, which is in ramdisk and writeable? To do that, all you'd have to do is set them up and then copy them over into the /etc/skel on your mounted partition with your remaster's source files. Edit /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession in order to include them in the things that get copied over to /home/knoppix when it is created.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2
    Hi Arkane,

    Thank you for the reply.

    I will look into the config files you mentioned.

    The problem is that I need to preserve directory
    structure, I need /var to stay writable and with
    no symlinks.

Similar Threads

  1. need UHCI for remastered cd - how to do?
    By copymaster in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-25-2004, 04:35 PM
  2. Remastered
    By Sammy in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-20-2003, 07:41 AM
  3. Linux Folder Structure
    By slicksps in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-10-2003, 05:08 AM
  4. Logon to active directory or NT directory ......
    By ktheking in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-09-2003, 06:34 PM
  5. Controling APM - suspends with AC connected
    By brownalert in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-07-2003, 10:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless picture

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless

$16.41



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99