-
Controling directory structure on a remastered CD
Hi,
I appologize if my questions have been answerd before
or if they stem from lack of linux savy 
I have been looking everywhere for a lead and couldn't find the answer...
I have bee trying to remaster a CD using custom directory
structres.
The remaster process works great thanks to the instructions provided in the FAQ.
But I have 2 problems:
1. After remastering and booting, directories like /var which are mapped to /ramdisk/var (which is writable), contain symlinks to /Knoppix/Var (which is not writable).
I have noticed that all the executable files inside /var become symlinks to /Knoppix/var/ and other files don't change.
When I look at my original source directory the executable files are there, they are not symlinks !!!
My question is how do I control which directories point
to the ramdisk and how do I prevent Knoppix from
replacing my executables with symlinks to the non writable CD.
2. I need to add directories to the remastered root
and have them writable.
I was thinking of adding symlinks.
Where should I add the symlinks ?
Is the /KNOPPIX/knoppix.sh the right place to do that ?
Thank you for your help
Fuzzy
-
Senior Member
registered user
I think all that symlinking takes place inside miniroot.gz.
Why not just add your directories to /home/knoppix, which is in ramdisk and writeable? To do that, all you'd have to do is set them up and then copy them over into the /etc/skel on your mounted partition with your remaster's source files. Edit /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession in order to include them in the things that get copied over to /home/knoppix when it is created.
-
Hi Arkane,
Thank you for the reply.
I will look into the config files you mentioned.
The problem is that I need to preserve directory
structure, I need /var to stay writable and with
no symlinks.
Similar Threads
-
By copymaster in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-25-2004, 04:35 PM
-
By Sammy in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-20-2003, 07:41 AM
-
By slicksps in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-10-2003, 05:08 AM
-
By ktheking in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-09-2003, 06:34 PM
-
By brownalert in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-07-2003, 10:03 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99

Hitachi HUS726060ALA640 6TB 7.2K SATA 3.5 6G HDD Hard Disc Drive
$109.99

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860
$129.99

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD
$137.59

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD
$29.99

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$24.99

HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED
$34.95

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health
$78.00

Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408
$354.99

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD
$41.00