Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: X permission problems

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    8

    X permission problems

    Ok, here's the issue:

    I have installed knoppix (26/07) to my HDD and updated to kde3.1.3.
    Before I updated, I could open a terminal, 'su' to root and then run any program I wanted.
    However, as soon as I upgraded to kde-3.1.3, I could not do this anymore.
    For example, it comes up with the following error when I try to run kedit:

    root@debianbox:/home# kedit
    Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
    Xlib: No protocol specified

    kedit: cannot connect to X server :0.0

    This error occurs with any program that I run that requires X access. I aslo can no longer launch programs like synaptic from the menu.

    Any ideas how to fix this people??? Surely this is just some type of config problem??

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: X permission problems

    --Try ' sudo kedit '. Make sure your userid is listed in /etc/sudoers first.

    Quote Originally Posted by ocilent1
    Ok, here's the issue:

    I have installed knoppix (26/07) to my HDD and updated to kde3.1.3.
    Before I updated, I could open a terminal, 'su' to root and then run any program I wanted.
    However, as soon as I upgraded to kde-3.1.3, I could not do this anymore.
    For example, it comes up with the following error when I try to run kedit:

    root@debianbox:/home# kedit
    Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
    Xlib: No protocol specified

    kedit: cannot connect to X server :0.0

    This error occurs with any program that I run that requires X access. I aslo can no longer launch programs like synaptic from the menu.

    Any ideas how to fix this people??? Surely this is just some type of config problem??

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    46
    try to use "su " instead of "su -" when switching to root

Similar Threads

  1. do I need Knoppix permission??
    By dougvega in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-02-2004, 02:19 PM
  2. new HD permission problems
    By Hayabusa in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-27-2004, 09:11 PM
  3. Program use and permission problems on hd install
    By chook in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-23-2004, 06:57 PM
  4. Permission troubles
    By beforewisdom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-28-2003, 11:39 PM
  5. Dev Null Permission Problems
    By Ambrose in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-04-2003, 12:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s

$78.00



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99