Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: newbie: hang/configuration help with old Toshiba 2520

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    13

    newbie: hang/configuration help with old Toshiba 2520

    I am using Knoppix 2003-07-25 en.

    Trying to run at home on old Toshiba Satelite 2520. Once upon a time I had a friend put Redhat 6.x on which ran OK but was a bitch to configure. So I know that Linux should run on this laptop.

    Config:
    Toshiba 2520 standard version with floppy, CD, 800x600 screen, USB, PS2 mouse, Winmodem (yeck), 2 slot for PCMCIA.
    PCMCIA Linksys Ethernet card

    I need some help to determine exactly why it is hanging.

    Booting from CD is OK but first problem comes at a screen msg about
    CardMgr.

    So I remove the card but then it has problem since it can't find eth0 or network connection.

    So I do "nodhcp" and it will boot until the splash screen showing the various services being started. At the point it reaches the second last service, it hangs again. It may have been the resource manager, but not sure.

    I think that I need to enable the PCMCIA services before I get the network to start-up. Then need to tell Knoppix that network goes through Linksys card. That should allow me to get ethernet connection and hopefully narrow down the problems.

    How do I do this? Is it even possible without building my own CD?

    Also, since I can't get it all installed and booted the first time, how do I get access to error logs?

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    13
    After spending a considerable time trying to work this out over the long weekend, I have some more information. Perhaps someone can help me get the pcmcia services running. I think that should fix things.

    The laptop uses ToPICs 95. The install uses the yenta_services which I think is supposed to be ToPICs95. The syslog shows that pcmcia services do not start. There is an error.

    Running lspci shows 13.0 & 13.1 are recognized as Toshiba PCMCIA card slots.

    I have tried each of the three BIOS settings for PCMCIA; automatic, cardbus/16kb and PCIC. PCIC hangs the computer. The other two all the computer to get past the PCMCIA service failure.

    Can someone give me a few ideas for what to try next?

    Thanks in advance

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    13

    Success with Toshiba Satelite

    I finally got this laptop to work. It was actually easier than expected but took months to find the right solution. It appears that Toshiba BIOS and Linux are not best friends. This post found in a Google cache actually gave me the answer.

    I hope it can help other users of Debian systems.

    I don't know how or if this can be updated into Knoppix to make it work with this live-CD, but anyone who has done a hd install onto a Toshiba laptop should be able to try it.

    Nuke


    Toshiba Laptop PCMCIA Freeze - Fixed @ Last, Summary Enclosed
    Jesse Rhoads jar at gdn.net
    Mon Oct 21 21:05:37 CDT 2002

    Hello all,

    At long last (after several months) I have found the fix!

    Those who have Toshiba Laptops, and PCMCIA freezes on bootup or freezes
    when a card is inserted, here is what is going on. Linux doesn't see
    which IRQ to use, so it picks one, and it ends up picking one that it is
    in use but the BIOS doesn't tell Linux it is in use, so Linux opens the
    IRQ anyway, and the machine has a hard feeze.

    You have to tell Linux which IRQ's are off limits or else it will use
    ones that are already in use.

    In the BIOS, make sure it the PCMCIA control is set to All By Machine (NOT
    Setup by OS) and that the PCMCIA Type is CardBus-16Bit (not PCIC or Auto).

    In Linux, edit /etc/ pcmcia /config.opts.
    You will see a few exclude statements that tell the card services cardmgr
    daemon what IRQ's _not_ to assign to inserted cards.
    Make sure your list includes this (you will have to add several):

    exclude irq 3
    exclude irq 4
    exclude irq 5
    exclude irq 6
    exclude irq 7
    exclude irq 9
    exclude irq 11
    exclude irq 12
    exclude irq 14
    exclude irq 15

    I was attacking this problem the wrong way. I was trying to get Linux and
    the BIOS to exchange IRQ information properly, and unfortunately the
    Toshiba BIOS doesn't do that very well. What finally worked is
    to simply get Linux to pick the right IRQ through process of
    elimination instead. Obivously, the correct IRQ that works is IRQ 10.
    Forcing it to use IRQ 10 in the card setup files did not work, the method
    above is the only way I found that works.

    Hopefully I have helped, and sorry it took so long to respond - I just
    tonight got it working.

    Best Regards,
    Jesse

Similar Threads

  1. Hang at AGP Detected
    By admgamer in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-04-2005, 01:24 AM
  2. Hang during boot-up
    By yhw22 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-03-2005, 04:16 PM
  3. Hang in Toshiba Satellite 1905-s301
    By JFreakCapo in forum Laptops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-05-2004, 09:31 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-22-2004, 04:27 AM
  5. Kensington Keyboard=Hang
    By nitropowered in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-18-2004, 08:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series picture

ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series

$235.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$71.49



Asus Prime B660M-A AC D4 Motherboard Intel LGA 1700 14th 13th 12th Gen DDR4 picture

Asus Prime B660M-A AC D4 Motherboard Intel LGA 1700 14th 13th 12th Gen DDR4

$79.99



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Motherboard picture

Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Motherboard

$54.99