Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: NTFS filename mangling

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3

    NTFS filename mangling

    Hi --

    Is there a way to make unprintable characters into 3 letter sequences when you mount an NTFS partition? "-o uni_xlate " does not work (i guess the man page is lying about it).

    Thanks
    foo

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: NTFS filename mangling

    --Read the man page again:

    uni_xlate=[0|1|2]
    For 0 (or `no' or `false'), do not use escape sequences for
    unknown Unicode characters. For 1 (or `yes' or `true') or 2,
    use vfat-style 4-byte escape sequences starting with ":". Here 2
    give a little-endian encoding and 1 a byteswapped bigendian
    encoding.

    --You have to do something like -ouni_xlate=1. However, I have had good luck with -o utf8. Try it and see which works best for you.

    Quote Originally Posted by foobar13
    Hi --

    Is there a way to make unprintable characters into 3 letter sequences when you mount an NTFS partition? "-o uni_xlate " does not work (i guess the man page is lying about it).

    Thanks
    foo

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3
    Here is what I type:

    # mount -r -t ntfs -ouni_xlate=1 /dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2

    Here is what I get:

    NTFS: unkown option 'uni_xlate'
    mount: wrong fs type <etc, etc>

    I have read the man page a number of times--this doesn't work.

    When I less a directory after utf8, I get some weird characters in the output in brackets.

    Thanks for your attention.
    W

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Well, I had quite a long post here explaining various things, and accidentally closed the browser window.

    --This is one reason why I hate NTFS, and still use Win98se. There are plenty of utilities in Linux to help you rename files, but we can't write the changes back to an NTFS file system!!

    --Basically, I don't allow weird chars (yes, that includes spaces) in my filenames (except for system-default stuff like Program Files, that can't be changed.) If it's not a-z, a dash or a number, it ain't in my filename. (That's right, I don't even like _UNDERSCORES_. Why type one of those when you can have a dash instead?) Moreover, my filenames are lower-case wherever possible. It's just faster to type all lower-case and dashes, when you don't have to hit Shift.

    --My suggestion is to take note of which filenames are coming up weird, and rename them to something simpler in Windows. Google is your friend - here are some links that I hope will help. PLEASE let the board know if one of them helps!!

    http://dmoz.org/Computers/Software/F...agers/Windows/
    http://www.techalchemy.net/
    http://mfr.queryweb.com/
    http://www.renwiz.com/
    http://www.powerrenamer.com/

    --To make things simpler in the future, I recommend doing what I do: If you click on "Save As" in your browser and the filename looks goofy, change it RIGHT THERE before it hits the hard drive. Just my $2.02.

    Quote Originally Posted by foobar13
    Here is what I type:

    # mount -r -t ntfs -ouni_xlate=1 /dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2

    Here is what I get:

    NTFS: unkown option 'uni_xlate'
    mount: wrong fs type <etc, etc>

    I have read the man page a number of times--this doesn't work.

    When I less a directory after utf8, I get some weird characters in the output in brackets.

    Thanks for your attention.
    W

Similar Threads

  1. ntfs.sys file: Writing on ntfs partition version 3.8.1
    By zette in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-04-2005, 03:03 PM
  2. unable to write to NTFS with captive-ntfs
    By harry66 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 05:03 PM
  3. Captive NTFS on Knoppix 3.6 and WInXP / NTFS hard drive
    By itaydagani in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-02-2005, 12:53 AM
  4. NTFS: Will 3.4/2.6 write to NTFS reliably and safely?
    By David Ormsby-Gore in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-08-2004, 09:45 AM
  5. captive ntfs - mount ntfs (reade/write) through icon
    By terminator in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 10:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core i7-6950X Extreme Edition 3.0GHz Processor SR2PA LGA2011 10 Core CPU picture

Intel Core i7-6950X Extreme Edition 3.0GHz Processor SR2PA LGA2011 10 Core CPU

$162.95



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested picture

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested

$35.00



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



Intel Core i7-7700 3.6 GHz 8 GT/s LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SR338 picture

Intel Core i7-7700 3.6 GHz 8 GT/s LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SR338

$39.99



Intel Core i5-12400 Processor SRL4V picture

Intel Core i5-12400 Processor SRL4V

$115.00