-
Junior Member
registered user
custom kernel with make-kpkg
I had an idea
that fb1280x1024 does not make much sense without the SUN12x22 compiled-in framebuffer font. They are beautiful... But... that support is not in the linux-2.4.21-xfs kernel. So... I set out to get it there. And... ran into trouble...
1. I chrooted to the knoppix source.
2. untarred the vanilla 2.4.21 kernel to /usr/src
3. copied .config from the -xfs dir and make menuconfig and added the font.
4. added the cmdline patch to setup.c
5. ran make-kpkg --revision 1 kernel_image and waited 1 hour.
6. dpkg -i /usr/src/kernel-image-2.4.21_1_i386.deb
and got an error: no fstab. That's right, there isn't.
Now it turns out: make-kpkg put everything in place, it just completed with an error. /boot has another system.map, config and vmlinuz (last one +23754 bigger than the orig.) The only change I made to the orig config is adding the framebuffer font.
Now the documents are not very clear on what is next: normall I run lilo. Now @System.map and @vmlinuz still point to the old ones.
Questions:
1. More people than me must have run into this eror with installing a new kernel_image?
2. copy the new vmlinuz over to the boot.img is that next?
3. Surely the @System.map and @vmlinuz must be updated?
4. How does he know which modules to get? There are now 2 dirs: 2.4.21 and 2.4.21-xfs
Thanks!
Hugo.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Something I did not explicitly specify: I am trying to do this booting from the CD, WITHOUT a HD install of Knoppix, having copied the CD to a HD partition only. I guess I could boot from another Debian system and chroot to the Knoppix source from there, but questions 2,3 and 4 still remain...
Hugo.
-
I got the same problem. Then I copy the fstab on the 'real' root to the 'source/KNOPPIX/etc' and re-run the dpkg -i. Another error message, "Could not find where the current root file system is mounted" Any suggestion?
Similar Threads
-
By ying-yang7 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-19-2004, 09:35 AM
-
By lmsaga in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-27-2004, 12:47 AM
-
By I_need_help in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 09-27-2003, 06:30 AM
-
By cYmen in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-14-2003, 10:17 AM
-
By teverettak in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 6
Last Post: 05-15-2003, 03:52 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server
$109.99

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

Linux 5.2 The Complete Redhat Operating System Deluxe Secure Server 3 CD Book
$37.49

ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version
$136.01

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay
$500.00

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99