Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: installing an externial HD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    SW missouri
    Posts
    6

    installing an externial HD

    I am trying to install an external HD onto my computer where I have Knoppix installed on the HD.

    the drive is a Maxtor 80GIG USB 2.0 drive

    when I plug it in before I boot the computer the computer sees the drive, but will not let me mount the drive to access it. It talks about the filesystem type could not be determined.

    if someone could help me I would like that.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    has it been formatted ?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    SW missouri
    Posts
    6
    yes.... its formatted for FAT32

    I have ran it on WIN98, WINXP and Mac os 9.2

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    what did cat /proc/partitions tell ?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    SW missouri
    Posts
    6
    I am not sure on the termnology that you used.

    I have it formated as 1 80 gig FAT32 hard drive

    I use it for image editing and carying files between school and home

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    SW missouri
    Posts
    6
    well when I r- click on the drive it and select properties it says that it has that error, I can not get anyinformation about it

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    4

    What works for me...

    I have a generic USB 2.0 hdd drive caddy and hdd and it didn't take too much effort to get it to work (IANA guru).

    First I made a directory to mount to. This was simply /mnt/usbhdd. Then I tested it out with
    # mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbhdd

    no problems. I found the device following some suggestions elsewhere on this forum. It was too much hassle entering this each time I started the laptop, so I added the following to the bottom of my /etc/fstab...

    /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbhdd vfat defaults,rw,user 0 0

    (remember to include a carriage return at the end of the file or it won't work)

    One annoying thing is that the drive must be connected before I start the laptop (this includes mounting manually).

    After that it was a simple shortcut to the new hard disk directory on the desktop. It's a FAT32 partition like yours, and it appears to have no probs. The speed is fine, even going over a USB 1.0 port.

    Hope this helped.

    HedRat

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    SW missouri
    Posts
    6
    it did not work...

    but I tried to re-install Knoppix onto my local harddrive and knoppix saw it instantly.

    but have been a bad install

Similar Threads

  1. installing knoppix vs installing Linux from scratch
    By jza in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-03-2003, 11:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$155.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$298.00



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J picture

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J

$40.00



TWO (2) Firewalla Gold Pro Devices - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall picture

TWO (2) Firewalla Gold Pro Devices - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall

$1444.00



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed

$202.50



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99