has it been formatted ?
I am trying to install an external HD onto my computer where I have Knoppix installed on the HD.
the drive is a Maxtor 80GIG USB 2.0 drive
when I plug it in before I boot the computer the computer sees the drive, but will not let me mount the drive to access it. It talks about the filesystem type could not be determined.
if someone could help me I would like that.
has it been formatted ?
yes.... its formatted for FAT32
I have ran it on WIN98, WINXP and Mac os 9.2
what did cat /proc/partitions tell ?
I am not sure on the termnology that you used.
I have it formated as 1 80 gig FAT32 hard drive
I use it for image editing and carying files between school and home
well when I r- click on the drive it and select properties it says that it has that error, I can not get anyinformation about it
I have a generic USB 2.0 hdd drive caddy and hdd and it didn't take too much effort to get it to work (IANA guru).
First I made a directory to mount to. This was simply /mnt/usbhdd. Then I tested it out with
# mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbhdd
no problems. I found the device following some suggestions elsewhere on this forum. It was too much hassle entering this each time I started the laptop, so I added the following to the bottom of my /etc/fstab...
/dev/sda1 /mnt/usbhdd vfat defaults,rw,user 0 0
(remember to include a carriage return at the end of the file or it won't work)
One annoying thing is that the drive must be connected before I start the laptop (this includes mounting manually).
After that it was a simple shortcut to the new hard disk directory on the desktop. It's a FAT32 partition like yours, and it appears to have no probs. The speed is fine, even going over a USB 1.0 port.
Hope this helped.
HedRat
it did not work...
but I tried to re-install Knoppix onto my local harddrive and knoppix saw it instantly.
but have been a bad install

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99
Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay
$500.00
OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00
OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00
1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server
$109.99
Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00
All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95
Linux 5.2 The Complete Redhat Operating System Deluxe Secure Server 3 CD Book
$37.49
SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99
🏆BEST VPN IPVANISH🌐Premium 2027 ✅ Active Subsсriрtiоn⚠️Digital Fast Delivery🔥
$12.99