-
Junior Member
registered user
Can't print?
Hi!
When I ran the Live CD, I added my printer and it worked right away, it was one of the things that most impressed me about Knoppix, since I've always had trouble printing thru Linux.
I did the harddrive install, added my printer, and tried to print. But no luck. It acts like it's printing, the Print Manager says it's "Processing...", if I look at the process-list, it's started up a whole bunch of things I know it needs for printing, but the document never gets to my printer. No blinking lights, nothing to indicate the printer's getting any message at all.
Does anyone know what's different about the HD install that might have messed up my printing?? 
Thanks,
sl
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Can't print?

Originally Posted by
slc
Hi!
When I ran the Live CD, I added my printer and it worked right away, it was one of the things that most impressed me about Knoppix, since I've always had trouble printing thru Linux.
I did the harddrive install, added my printer, and tried to print. But no luck. It acts like it's printing, the Print Manager says it's "Processing...", if I look at the process-list, it's started up a whole bunch of things I know it needs for printing, but the document never gets to my printer. No blinking lights, nothing to indicate the printer's getting any message at all.
Does anyone know what's different about the HD install that might have messed up my printing??
Thanks,
sl
Did you use CUPS to set up the printer? You would go to http://localhost:631 and then set up the printer from there I've had more luck with that then the KDE add printer.
-
Junior Member
registered user
No luck yet.
This is what it looks like thru that cups-interface you suggested:
myprinter HP DeskJet 600/600C, CUPS+Gimp-Print v4.2.5
Description: HEWLETT-PACKARD DESKJET 612C
Location: /dev/parport0
Printer State: processing, accepting jobs.
"Printing page 0, 6%"
Device URI: parallel:/dev/unknown-parallel0
That /dev/unknown thing doesn't look right...but I don't see how I'd change it.
And I really don't get why it isn't working the same as it did from the CD, that seems almost like a bait-and-switch tactic. 
sl
-
Junior Member
registered user
???????
Hello???
is everyone stumped??
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: No luck yet.

Originally Posted by
slc
This is what it looks like thru that cups-interface you suggested:
myprinter HP DeskJet 600/600C, CUPS+Gimp-Print v4.2.5
Description: HEWLETT-PACKARD DESKJET 612C
Location: /dev/parport0
Printer State: processing, accepting jobs.
"Printing page 0, 6%"
Device URI: parallel:/dev/unknown-parallel0
That /dev/unknown thing doesn't look right...but I don't see how I'd change it.
And I
really don't get why it isn't working the same as it did from the CD, that seems almost like a bait-and-switch tactic.

Here is the page at Linux Printing that is for your printer you may need to follow the instruction there to get it going. I can't really tell you why it is not working the same have you tried to use the CUPS interface to setup up a new printer and printed a test page from that one? To change the one that is already there you would go to the CUPS page then select Printers and then use the configure option.
Similar Threads
-
By rozen in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-22-2003, 11:19 PM
-
By stukennedyuk in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-12-2003, 08:40 PM
-
By nazimm in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-07-2003, 09:11 AM
-
By c0d3_z3r0 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-27-2003, 01:17 AM
-
By Kurst_Putz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-05-2003, 04:26 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)
$700.00

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99

Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD
$27.99

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)
$59.00

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor
$14.49

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested*
$32.99

AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad
$355.99

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$189.00