I think this web page will answer your question rather well:
http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/
I was upgrading from 98 to XP and made an error. All that seems to be possible is to answer the question - do you want to load from the CD. If I load Knoppix, will it be possible for me to recover the Word documents that I have on the c: drive. The computer is a simple one from Compaq that came with 98 and has one harddrive. My hope is that Knoppix will allow me to at least view my Word documents. If I could copy them onto CDs, this would be very nice.
I think this web page will answer your question rather well:
http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/
sure. load knoppix, click on hda1 and you will see all your HD with a file/web browser. then you can either copy your files to a floppy or read them directly with Open Office. HTH
Thank you for your help, especially the reference that I received to site www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/ This solves my problem.

Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1
$60.00
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00
Samsung 870 EVO 4TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-77E4T0B/AM)
$310.00
New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00
Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM
$99.99
Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung
$119.99
Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)
$57.99
Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc
$27.99
Samsung Chromebook 4 11.6" HD, N4000, 6GB, 64GB EMMC, Platinum Titan
$165.00
NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue
$225.77