Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Onboard sound and network-OK with CD, not HD install

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2

    Onboard sound and network-OK with CD, not HD install

    Great site folks.

    I've got Knoppix 3.2 (7-26-2003) and Intel onboard sound and network cards. The sound and network cards wouldn't work initially with the CD, until I read the posts on this site and figured out that I should use the cheatcodes:

    knoppix alsa noapic

    with these codes, Knoppix works perfectly from the CD.

    HOWEVER...

    I installed Knoppix to my hard disk using the new script, knoppix-installer. It boots fine, but now I have no sound or network again. My machine also has Windows XP and Suse on it so I'm using the Grub installion from Suse for my bootmanager.

    I've looked all over this site, the debian site, and on google for some method of disabling APIC by passing an argument to the kernel from Grub, but everything I've tried hasn't worked. I've tried:

    noapic
    apic=off
    disableapic (this was the way Suse did it)
    append=noapic

    The kernel is detecting everything fine, lsmod shows the corrected modules loaded. There's definitely some sort of IRQ conflict that's causing the problem and the noapic cheatcode works great for the CD. What to do with the HD install??

    I've spent the past 18 years working on DOS/windows machines, but I've only used linux for the past few months.

    Thanks.

    AK engineer

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    As root in a console window /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig to setup the alsa devices then edit the file /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh and put the line aumix -w 75 -v 75 at the bottom of the file for the volume to be set at boot time. For the network card make sure the file /etc/network/interfaces looks like this:

    Code:
     # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
    
     # The loopback interface
     auto lo
     iface lo inet loopback
    
     # The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian installation
     # (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
     auto eth0
     iface eth0 inet dhcp
    Then /etc/init.d/networking restart to re-start the network with the new settings. You may still need the noapic in the GRUB config but I can't be much help there never use it.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2
    Well, I went back and reinstalled with the old installation script knx-hdinstall, passed the noapic code to the kernel via GRUB and everything works. I did have to run alsa_init to get the sound working, however.

    Not sure what the difference is between the two installation scripts other than setting up user accounts, but something is different...


Similar Threads

  1. Need help with setting up my Onboard Network
    By Luke Riches in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-20-2004, 06:39 PM
  2. sound issues with onboard sound chip
    By frank34 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 02:49 PM
  3. belkin network card and apollo onboard sound...
    By Sukrillux in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-12-2004, 05:39 AM
  4. onboard sound not detected
    By pwchicken in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-28-2003, 11:41 PM
  5. onboard sound/network
    By laffer in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-06-2003, 08:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX picture

For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX

$149.99



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Intel Xeon W-3245 16-Core 3.2GHz (SRFFD) Apple MAC PRO A1991 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon W-3245 16-Core 3.2GHz (SRFFD) Apple MAC PRO A1991 CPU Processor

$199.99



Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU picture

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU

$7.95



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



HP Z440 Workstation TWR Xeon E5-1603 v3, 8GB RAM, NVS310, SB1570, NO SSD/OS #95 picture

HP Z440 Workstation TWR Xeon E5-1603 v3, 8GB RAM, NVS310, SB1570, NO SSD/OS #95

$89.99