most likely a cdrom read error, so check the cd itself, and the drive. I'm pretty sure there is no way to turn off scsi emulation, but i don't think it will make a difference.
Im using Knoppix 3.1 2002-12-10. I have an ide hard drive and an ide cd-rom.
The boot process seem fine until it gets to "Creating directories and symlinks on ramdisk...". It pauses for a while then I get these errors
scsi: aborting command due to timeout: pid 74, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 Read (10) 00 00 05 4d 68 00 00 08 00
hdd: timeout waiting for DMA
hdd: ide_dma_timeout: Lets do it again!stat = 0xd0, dma_stat = 0x60
hdd: DMA disabled
Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000018
At which point the kernel panics and it doesnt progress any further.
The cd-rom is /dev/hdd, but Knoppix says its "Accessing KNOPPIX CDROM at /dev/scd0...". So I was wondering if it was the ide-scsi emulation that was causing this problem. I have no scsi devices in my machine so I tried the boot command
knoppix noscsi nodma
but the same thing happens. I have had SuSE installed on the same machine for a long time so Im sure the setup can be supported.
Any pointers in the right direction would be very helpful
most likely a cdrom read error, so check the cd itself, and the drive. I'm pretty sure there is no way to turn off scsi emulation, but i don't think it will make a difference.
Ah yes, I swapped the cd drive with another one and now it works perfectly. Its a bit ironic that the original drive was the one I used to burn the cd in the first place, ah well its old and i guess its on its way out![]()
Thanks a lot for the help![]()

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$49.99
1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare
$1800.00
1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE
$6299.00
Apple Macintosh 9" B&W CRT 128k 512k Plus SE SE/30 Classic - Working. (260201 2)
$29.99
Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond
$140.00
Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$59.99
Keyboard Cable Cord - Apple Macintosh Mac 128K 512K 512Ke Plus
$12.99
Vintage Apple Macintosh Classic 128K Game Pack 5 On New 400K Double Density Disk
$39.99
Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs
$14.99
Apple Macintosh 9" B&W CRT 128k 512k Plus SE SE/30 Classic - Working. (260201 1)
$29.99