I think this web page will answer your question rather well:
http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/
I was upgrading from 98 to XP and made an error. All that seems to be possible is to answer the question - do you want to load from the CD. If I load Knoppix, will it be possible for me to recover the Word documents that I have on the c: drive. The computer is a simple one from Compaq that came with 98 and has one harddrive. My hope is that Knoppix will allow me to at least view my Word documents. If I could copy them onto CDs, this would be very nice.
I think this web page will answer your question rather well:
http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/
sure. load knoppix, click on hda1 and you will see all your HD with a file/web browser. then you can either copy your files to a floppy or read them directly with Open Office. HTH
Thank you for your help, especially the reference that I received to site www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/ This solves my problem.

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95
Cisco 8861 Gigabit IP Phone Phone 5-line business-class VoIP Wifi Bluetooth
$39.99
Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28
Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99
UBIQUITI UVP-TOUCH VoIP Desktop Touchscreen Smart Phone
$55.00
Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply
$25.00
Cisco CP-7841-K9 4-Line Gigabit VoIP IP Phone PoE Office Desk 3.5" Display NEW
$89.99
Cisco/Linksys SPA2102 VoIP Phone Adapter Router 2FXS (Unlocked)
$17.99
Polycom Poly ObiHai OBI302 VOIP Adapter FREE S/H
$29.99
Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included
$27.99