-
Modem
Im new to Linux and I'm having a problem getting online with it. My modem is a Lucent Win Modem Com 3. I dont know if i need a driver or if I'm doing something wrong. Also, I've downloaded the scanModem tool and run it and it didn't help me very much... Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user
REF : http://www.heby.de/ltmodem
DRIVER : http://www.sfu.ca/~cth/ltmodem/ltmodem-8.26a9.tar.gz
Think this is the right driver.
Run the command lspci -vv in an terminal. (Lists all PCI devices).
Install: kernel-headers (FIRST)
REF: http://developer.linuxtag.net/knoppix/i386/
Some times the Modem drivers will not load again after re-booting, if so look
in /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/char for you drivers !
(There will probably be 2 files)
Add something similar to this (replace drivers with yours) in /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh file .
# Added by
# Loads Intel 536ep Modem Driver
cd /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/char
insmod -f 536epcore.o
insmod -f 536ep.o
After rebooting the drivers will be loaded.
-
Senior Member
registered user
hint, as far as I can tell this howto will only work on a hdinstalled Knoppix...
-
I dont have it installed on my HD, only bootring it from cd, but i appreciate the effort. Anyone that can help please do so... Thanks
-
I'm running Knoppix from CD. I use an external modem, and it works great. I got the modem for about $40 at an electronics store. It's the old external type with the 9-pin connector, not a usb modem.
I decided to go this route after struggling with "winmodems" in both Knoppix and, uh, other operating systems. The external ones just work better, IMO.
You can install the new external modem without removing the old one, if you want. Make sure the external serial port is enabled in the BIOS.
Similar Threads
-
By jodef in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-31-2005, 08:21 AM
-
By Mic Q in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-17-2004, 02:17 PM
-
By panthrax in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-11-2003, 11:39 PM
-
By FarAway in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-14-2003, 10:29 PM
-
By www.rzr.online.fr in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-21-2003, 09:49 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1774.24

SanDisk Creator Phone SSD 2TB MagSafe USB-C USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Blue
$245.00

Crucial X9 Pro 1TB Portable External SSD USB 3.2 Gen2 1050MB/s Gray
$158.00

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$427.48

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$461.10

HP ZBook Fury G8 15.6'' Intel Xeon W-11955M 2.6GHz 64GB RAM 1TB SSD RTX A2000
$599.99

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99

USB 3.2 Metal Flash Drive High Speed Portable USB Memory Stick 1TB 2TB 4TB
$22.15

Apple MacBook Pro 16.2" M3 Pro 12-Core 18GB 1TB SSD A2991
$1400.00