Quote Originally Posted by bitey
It will work perfectly as long as Knoppix recognizes your modem, but lots of computers these days have cheap "winmodems" that only work with certain operating systems. A really good external modem isn't too expensive and will work better no matter which operating system you use.
I have exactly this problem with my PC and every Unix-like OS i ever tried to use!
I try to get online with kppp and it tells me, that my modem is occupied..
Offc ourse i tried if i had selected the wrong 'COM' but it never really worked.
So is this because i have the wrong modem?
Or do i just have to get drivers? Or did i forget something important?

@DOS:
I think after i never had any working internet-connection with linux my advice will probably be not that great, but according to what i read you have just to start kppp, insert the infos from your provider and click 'connect'.