I'm pleased to report that the Linux version of this game works pretty well when running Knoppix from the CD.
You can use the already-compiled binary from the Slackware version of duke3d. I copied the duke3d game folder to a memory stick, then copied just the duke3d executable file into the same folder. To run the game, I open a shell in that folder and type duke3d. You can use the Midnight Commander file manager (mc) to edit the duke3d.cfg file if you need to (other text editors seem to corrupt this file).
Knoppix is great! I really like running it from the CD. I figure a read-only operating system offers the best protection against the viruses and hackers infesting the Internet. Maybe in the future all operating systems will work this way.
I am extremely grateful for Mr. Knopper's contribution to personal computing. Thanks also to the many contributors to this forum -- you've helped me a lot.

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99
IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$200.00
Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852
$559.00
IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$149.99
IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$108.92
Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE
$295.00
IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99
IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive
$200.00
Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00
IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99