Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: modem Connects but no internet

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    13

    modem Connects but no internet

    Hi,
    after a very long search and fix for my modem, i was able to get it to work .... now it dials fines and connects and the timer starts normally .... however trying to open any browsers it just doesnt open any page !! anyone has an idea ....???

    another question , if i dont want to keep filling the password for root, is there a way to autologin .... ???


    thanks

    Mahdi

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Which browser? I had a similar problem with Mozilla. After getting the Winmodem working via ltmodem, I configued the modem using KPPP so that it would dialup ok but Mozilla also has to be configured to my ISP username & password. It defaults to use the email address name for the username which is not correct so I had to reconfiguer it separately to the proper username.
    I don't think there is any way to autologin as root but ther may be a way to autologin as 'user' i.e. as Knoppix. Maybe more experienced people will correct me on this.
    You are not really supposed to be 'root' all the time anyway. It is more secure to login as a 'user' & su to root if you have to. Or use 'sudo'. Knoppix-on-HD by default doesn't allow any sudoers by default so you will have to edit the /etc/sudoers file to allow you as user (default 'Knoppix') to be a sudoer. I don't know why but there are a number of quirky little differencence like this between Knoppix-on-CD & Knoppix-onHD.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    13
    thanks for replying ....

    I was trying to find where Mozilla is configured but I dont know where !!!

    Please help me ....



    Thanks


    Mahdi

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Azzate-Varese (Italy)
    Posts
    9
    Hi Mahdi and Crash...
    I have exatly the same problem as (after HD installation only) modem dials in and I can ping the ISP no problem but no internet.
    Please have a look at my other posts and give me your comments aand/or suggestions if you found a workaround

    pieter

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2

    modem Connects but no internet

    Hi all, I have the same problem months later. Did you ever resolve this one?

    I have found that I can log in as root and surf but not as any other user. I expect I don't have permissions. Where would I set them?

    Rich

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1
    I had the same problem and resolved it by removing/commenting out the Gateway line in /etc/network/interfaces.

    Hope this helps.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2
    Why thank you. As it turns out my problem was with nameservers. I later found that I could connect to the Internet and download webpages as root but not as a normal user. When I looked at the Kppp settings side by side, on the DNS tab, I had 'Automatic' selected for root but not for my normal user. Once I selected Automatic DNS for my normal user, the problem was solved.

    Thanks again for your help.

    Richard

Similar Threads

  1. Connecting to the Internet via USB ADSL modem (again...)
    By HornyToad in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-26-2005, 09:40 PM
  2. Kppp connects but cannot access internet
    By dsg68818 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-06-2004, 04:52 PM
  3. Modem connects, but I still can't surf the net
    By WolfBLN in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2004, 06:25 AM
  4. Internet not working with cable modem
    By kibkid in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-04-2004, 01:41 PM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-07-2003, 02:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A picture

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A

$100.00



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$349.48



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99