Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: newbie: remastering to get passwords and gui login

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    45

    newbie: remastering to get passwords and gui login

    I've made my own remaster with gnome2.4 and trying to get XCFE4 (which won't boot for me) and a few other packages installed. I would like a better way to switch to the desktops than rebooting each time.
    I'd like to get the login gui back with the list of window managers and users. Is there a setting I need to change (runlevel, autologin, or another script)?
    I'd also like to get passwords back. How do I go about doing that?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: newbie: remastering to get passwords and gui login

    Quote Originally Posted by freeballer
    I would like a better way to switch to the desktops than rebooting each time.
    I'd like to get the login gui back with the list of window managers and users. Is there a setting I need to change (runlevel, autologin, or another script)?
    I'd also like to get passwords back. How do I go about doing that?
    If you are using KDM as your window manager, you should only have to logout and you should be brought back to the login page. Alternately you can just hit ctrl+alt+backspace which should kill X and bring you back to the KDM login.

    Adam

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    80
    save your configuration and then modify the knoppix.sh file so that it creates links in rc2.d through rc5.d with /etc/init.d/kdm as S19kdm. When you boot with "knoppix myconfig=scan" the knoppix.sh will be run and the added script commands will cause the kdm manager to be run on bootup.

    I recently did this after also enabling NIS and kdm shows up with all the NIS login IDs too. Pretty cool. There might be a gdm you could use instead of kdm and as far as window managers go, you'll have to mess with the kdm/gdm init scripts to be sure your particular window managers are available and add code/script to knoppix.sh to restore those files which you might need to put on a floppy if you don't have accessable HD space.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    45

    thanks

    thanks I will try that

Similar Threads

  1. remaster with greeter login and passwords?
    By flashfyre in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-29-2004, 05:55 AM
  2. NewBie: removing tetex? adding gnome / login / passwords
    By freeballer in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-05-2003, 09:15 AM
  3. Newbie question on remastering
    By wanderer in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-11-2003, 04:36 PM
  4. Newbie problems with remastering (long and involved)
    By merc in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-23-2003, 11:00 PM
  5. newbie question login prompt
    By hololi in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-27-2003, 03:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY

$10.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Crucial Laptop Ram 32GB (2x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz CT16G4SFRA32A picture

Crucial Laptop Ram 32GB (2x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz CT16G4SFRA32A

$119.99



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



WARIS 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 288-Pin UDIMM Desktop RAM H4737130 picture

WARIS 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 288-Pin UDIMM Desktop RAM H4737130

$109.99



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



G.SKILL FLARE X5 64GB (2 x 32GB) 6000 MT/s DDR5 (AMD EXPO + INTEL XMP) *CL30* picture

G.SKILL FLARE X5 64GB (2 x 32GB) 6000 MT/s DDR5 (AMD EXPO + INTEL XMP) *CL30*

$785.00



Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz picture

Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz

$380.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00