Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: KnoppMyth R3

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    52

    KnoppMyth R3

    KnoppMyth R3 is available! Thanks to those that provided fedback on R2! Changes include:

    The CD can now be use as a frontend!
    Added Samba
    Added Gkrellm, so you can monitor your mythboxen(Thanks for the idea Dale). Included gkrellm-radio for those with a radio card!
    Added webmin and several helpful modules.
    Devised partition scheme with scripts to facilitate easy upgrades between releases!(Thanks to Dale and Chris)
    Access mythweb with http://ip.of.myth.box instead for http://ip/mythweb(Thanks for the idea David).
    Added additional themes for Myth.
    Added Frozen Bubbles!

    md5sum:
    ceaee95377157f9a05bb2639e9fcc4f3

    Mirrors:

    http://hust.la/KnoppMyth/r3/
    Thank you VERY MUCH Jeremy!

    or
    ftp://ftp.rdt1.org/From/KnoppMyth/r3/
    Enjoy,
    Cecil

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    30
    What video capture devices does this work with? I was hoping to use it with an external USB device. I am working on a knoppix remaster that runs both the front and backend from the cd. The only problem I have is that my ATI-all-in -wonder is not supported by the mythtv project. If I need to buy a new tuner I want en external one that I can take with me.

    What do you think?

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    52
    It will work with any that is supported under v4l. Sorry, I don't know what external tuners are...

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2
    cesman,

    thanks for working on KnoppMyth!

    I'd like to humbly report 2 bugs that I found in R3.

    1) Issue with swap space setup during knoppix-installer
    If you have a totally blank hard disk and format it according to the instructions, the knoppix-installer program only shows the 2 options (partition and quit). With my limited knowledge I think I have tracked down that the problem lies in the swap detection. It seems that the swap partition is never formatted and therefore even after rebooting with the newly created partitions the knoppix-installer does not detect the swap partition properly.

    To solve the problem I have to:
    - partition according the documentation
    - run 'mkswap /dev/hda2'
    - reboot

    The installer then perfectly recognises the swap partition and shows me all 6 options.

    2) 'Illegal instruction' when running mythtv-setup
    After installing KnoppMyth on my VIA Epia 1000 board (Via C3 Ezra CPU) I try to run mythtv-setup according to the instructions. The blue wallpaper shows up briefly but then the program crashes, the console window shows an "Illegal Instruction" error message. Maybe KnoppMyth is compiled wrongly for this low-end CPU?

    In your instructions why not let the user boot into console mode:
    'knoppix alsa 2'
    The first thing is to go into a console anyway...

    keep up the great work, ScrollLock

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrollLock
    cesman,

    thanks for working on KnoppMyth!
    You're welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrollLock
    I'd like to humbly report 2 bugs that I found in R3.

    1) Issue with swap space setup during knoppix-installer
    If you have a totally blank hard disk and format it according to the instructions, the knoppix-installer program only shows the 2 options (partition and quit). With my limited knowledge I think I have tracked down that the problem lies in the swap detection. It seems that the swap partition is never formatted and therefore even after rebooting with the newly created partitions the knoppix-installer does not detect the swap partition properly.

    To solve the problem I have to:
    - partition according the documentation
    - run 'mkswap /dev/hda2'
    - reboot

    The installer then perfectly recognises the swap partition and shows me all 6 options.
    Thanks! I'll include this in future documentation.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrollLock
    2) 'Illegal instruction' when running mythtv-setup
    After installing KnoppMyth on my VIA Epia 1000 board (Via C3 Ezra CPU) I try to run mythtv-setup according to the instructions. The blue wallpaper shows up briefly but then the program crashes, the console window shows an "Illegal Instruction" error message. Maybe KnoppMyth is compiled wrongly for this low-end CPU?
    The kernel is the stock Knoppix kernel, I've been attempting to compile a custom kernel for R4, but am having problems. I actually don't plan to do anything specific for the EPIA until a few releases down the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrollLock
    In your instructions why not let the user boot into console mode:
    'knoppix alsa 2'
    The first thing is to go into a console anyway...
    Thanks for the suggest, it has been addressed in R4(still working on it)!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrollLock
    keep up the great work, ScrollLock
    Thanks, I'll try my best.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by cesman
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrollLock
    2) 'Illegal instruction' when running mythtv-setup
    After installing KnoppMyth on my VIA Epia 1000 board (Via C3 Ezra CPU) I try to run mythtv-setup according to the instructions. The blue wallpaper shows up briefly but then the program crashes, the console window shows an "Illegal Instruction" error message. Maybe KnoppMyth is compiled wrongly for this low-end CPU?
    The kernel is the stock Knoppix kernel, I've been attempting to compile a custom kernel for R4, but am having problems. I actually don't plan to do anything specific for the EPIA until a few releases down the road.
    The Knoppix part is not the problem, it is the MythTV application that is not suitable for the Via C3. I found the answer in the MythTV documentation:
    Quote Originally Posted by MythTV documentation
    If you've got a system with an AMD K6-2 or a VIA C3 processor, make the following change in the settings.pro file.

    Look for
    -march=pentiumpro
    and replace it with
    -march=i586
    before you compile.
    Recent AMD processors, like the Duron, Thunderbird and Athlon don't need this change.
    Could you please add a warning in the readme file for users of those processors? Thanks.

    Another small issue in the documentation: after the first bootup it says:
    Quote Originally Posted by knoppmyth.txt
    $su
    #mkmythdir
    #netcardconfig
    #ln -sf /dev/scd0 /dev/dvd
    #/etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig
    #tzconfig
    #date (ensure the date is correct)
    #/etc/cron.daily/mythtv-backend
    #/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend restart
    #exit
    $mythtv-setup
    Go thru the 4 steps. Leave directory to hold recordings and Live TV buffer as is. The partition scheme is designed to facilitate easy updates between releases of KnoppMyth. Once you've completed the 4 steps, exit the setup program.

    $alsamixer
    Set the line in to capture(move to it and <spacebar> and ensure it is muted(volume all the way down).
    $su
    #/etc/cron.daily/mythtv-backend
    #/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend restart
    #exit
    $exit
    The first two mythtv-backend are not necessary as they always fail due to setup information missing. One has to run mythtv-setup first, then the 2 mythtv-backend commands.

    hope it helps, ScrollLock

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    52
    Thanks for the great feedback ScrollLock! I'll add the info to the docs!

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1
    Thanks for all your work on this project. Seems to be exactly what I've been waiting for. I wanted to know, however, if KnoppMyth currently supports the Hauppauge pvr-250? If not, how hard would it be to get it set up to work for someone with next to zero Linux experience?

    Thanks!

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    4

    KnoppMyth localhost

    Hi i was in the middle of moving my myth box from mandrake to debian using knoppix when i found your remix. Looks great downloading now. I was wondering after reading the text file it says to leave host name localhost. I would much prefer another name so the host name local and on samba match say MythTV or somthing. I know from reading the MythTV postings that you cant just change hostname after installing. Is there way to pass a hostname to the setup script. How hard would that be to add?
    Thanks for the great work.
    Looking forward to an esier setup this time.
    Chad

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    52
    I suggest leaving it as localhost because the database is already setup with paths, etc. If you want to change it to something else after installing try:
    UPDATE settings SET hostname='newhost' WHERE hostname='localhost';

    You can also use webmin to browse the DB and make changes.

    cesman

Similar Threads

  1. KnoppMyth R4
    By cesman in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-31-2005, 09:12 PM
  2. KnoppMyth - MIA
    By rec9140 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-30-2003, 05:18 AM
  3. KnoppMyth
    By cesman in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-03-2003, 10:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



Atari XE  130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested picture

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested

$159.95



Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit picture

Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit

$199.97



Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI picture

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI

$44.00



SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25

SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25" Floppy Disks w/ Games & Software? Commodore 64 Atari 800

$59.99



VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair picture

VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair

$323.75



ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm picture

ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm

$48.95