-
emKnoppix
Hi all,
For some time I have been working on a pet project of mine, enabling Knoppix to run on small embedded devices. Today I am happy to release it to the world. Find it at http://emknoppix.sarovar.org
The work is far from complete, though it is in a usable state. Please go through it and send in your comments/criticisms.
regards,
raj
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hi,
What kind of embedded devices? Do you have any links to any hardware that this will run on?
-
I am now testing it on a box with NatSemi Geode based processor, with a 96 MB Disk-On-Module and 64 MB ram from Lanner . I have not tried it on any non x86 processor. This will work on older PCs also.
raj
-
Senior Member
registered user
I am doing similar things but decided to start from debootstrap woody instead of KNOPPIX as it would be much more difficult(for me) to remove things from KNOPPIX than add things to woody. Beside, it seems that the overall binary size from sid/sarge are bigger than woody(could be the compiler used).
I have managed to sqeeze a bareX with quite some server modules within 300M(uncompressed) and a base woody system within 150M or a KDE 3.1.3 based system within 400M.
-
Actually I can also start from debbootstrap, I am not using KNOPPIX debs, just the basic idea that a full filesystem can remain compressed in one file (KNOPPIX) I started from las knoppix and removed stuff till I was satisfied, and then deleted /usr/srd, /usr/doc etc before building image.
raj
-
Senior Member
registered user
hear, hear
we are approaching the goal through different means, that is the beauty of linux. I am not at the stage of compressing yet(or the all famous hardware detection of KNOPPIX, using discover instead), still cherry picking what packages to include at what stage and how to apt-get from one stage to another. But everything is on a loopbacked file(read only) like KNOPPIX.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$36.99

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A
$49.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...
$30.00

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD
$29.99