Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Trouble with XF86_SVGA!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    10

    Trouble with XF86_SVGA!

    Hi, I have a problem with Knoppix Linux, I recently downloaded and I probe in my PC and is pretty amazing!, but when I tried in my father's PC appears me "modprobe: Can't locate module server: XF86_SVGA" my father have a SIS Video Card and is Celeron of 600MHZ with 128 RAM. Is there a solution to run it? What I need to do?

    PS: My father wants to change from Windows to Knoppix LINUX !

    Thanks A lot.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    Use the cheatcode:

    knoppix xserver=XF86_SVGA (in addition to any other cheatcodes)

    A friend of mine had to this this for an older video card, and it got him booted, however his system fonts became unreadable. We managed to work around the problem by running a vncserver and doing all work inside a vncviewer.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    10
    Hi thanks for your reply, I recently tried with "knoppix xserver=XF86_SVGA" also "fb800x600 knoppix xserver=XF86_SVGA " and still the same problem "modprobe: Can't locate module server: XF86_SVGA", What can I do? Thank a Lot.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerardoj
    Hi thanks for your reply, I recently tried with "knoppix xserver=XF86_SVGA" also "fb800x600 knoppix xserver=XF86_SVGA " and still the same problem "modprobe: Can't locate module server: XF86_SVGA", What can I do? Thank a Lot.
    You may want to try knoppix testcd to make sure the CD is good. The module used for the card is sis so use the xmodule=sis cheat code if it passes the test of the CD. BTW you would use just the fb800x600 you would not need the knoppix or xserver cheat with it you may also want to try the vga=normal.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    10
    Thanks again for the replys. I tried with knoppix testcd and is OK. Then "xmodule=sis fb800x600" and shows up as an invalid input. Then I tried with "knoppix xmodule=sis fb800x600" and the same error "Can't locate module server: XF86_SVGA". If you still have patience enough I will try any other advice. Thanks.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerardoj
    Thanks again for the replys. I tried with knoppix testcd and is OK. Then "xmodule=sis fb800x600" and shows up as an invalid input.
    Use the fb800x600 first on the line.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    10
    Thanks, but still not working I tried "fb800x600 xmodule=sis" an shows up the same error. Now what do you recommend me to run knoppix? Do I need a new video card?

    Thanks

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerardoj
    Thanks, but still not working I tried "fb800x600 xmodule=sis" an shows up the same error. Now what do you recommend me to run knoppix? Do I need a new video card?

    Thanks
    Have you tried failsafe or knoppix-txt try various other combinations of the cheat codes, you may want to list the ones you have tried so I don't have to repeat them here. As to the new video card that's up to you but if you do try to get one that is well supported under linux. Also try some of the no cheat codes like noapic and see if that helps.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    10
    Hi thanks to all for the replys, I decided to try a new video card that I have playing around , and now is workins knoppix fine.

    Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. X11 trouble
    By nirav1983 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 06:05 PM
  2. k3b trouble
    By Seeker in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-26-2003, 09:53 AM
  3. Unreadable fonts when using knoppix xserver=XF86_SVGA
    By arkaine23 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-31-2003, 07:45 PM
  4. Trouble with apt-get
    By paramedic in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-30-2003, 09:11 PM
  5. Can't locate module server: XF86_SVGA
    By hammy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-10-2003, 02:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$248.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays

$599.99



Dell Poweredge T420 SFF 2x E5-2430 v2 2.5Ghz / 64gb / H710 / 8x Trays / 2x 495w picture

Dell Poweredge T420 SFF 2x E5-2430 v2 2.5Ghz / 64gb / H710 / 8x Trays / 2x 495w

$394.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount

$489.99