-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Installation Experiance
#3: As root, ' whereis k3b '; then ' chmod +s PATH-TO-K3B/k3b '. This will allow you to run k3b as your userid, and it will assume root privs. However, you should also ' chown headholio.root PATH/k3b ' and ' chmod o-sx PATH/k3b ' for security reasons. This is so that only *your* userid gets to run k3b, and not just any other id on the system.
#5: I don't think you should use "world" with upgrade, but not 100% sure.
#7: Check out Morphix. Here is also a thread similar to your request, but I'm not sure if they have any files for DL yet.
http://mailman.linuxtag.org/pipermai...ch/002303.html
--And of course, Damn Small Linux, as well as others:
http://www.distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=cd

Originally Posted by
HeadHolio
Ok, after trying a Knoppix CD in a few systems I easily became impressed. I wanted Knoppix to be the distribution I used at home as well, so I gave the hard drive installation a shot. All appeared to go well, with a few hiccups. (Please note that I am not trying to be negative, I am simply looking for solutions and doing my part to offer feedback).
First off the bat, I didn't see the cool colours of the bootup process telling me that I have a logitech cordless mouse, and all of the other autoconfiguration that the Knoppix CD did. Instead, I got a very plain white text on blackbackground boot process with no progress bars or anything.
Second, everything was not in english...but I was warned beforehand so it didn't bother me too much.
Third, K3B (my favorite CD burning app) would not burn unless I ran it as root. I have yet to figure out the solution to this problem as running K3B setup and Configure K3B do not solve it.
Fourth, after installing Synaptic through apt-get, I could not load up my sources list. Synaptic would complain about not being able to read the file sources.list. Manually editing this file worked however.
Fifth, performing an "apt-get update" and then "apt-get upgrade world" would tell me that about 120 packages would be removed (mostly KDE packages with K3B being one of them). Knoppix should maintain a package mirror for the packages that it has installed by default so that these packages aren't removed.
Sixth, the bootup and shutdown voices are gone. When I replace the voices in the KDE setup (this involved setting arts to start automatically), they aren't heard before the KDE boot box starts (like the Knoppix CD), they are heard after KDE configures the devices and such. And, the shutdown voice gets cut off as KDE exits whereas the CD allows the voice to complete.
Seventh, this is more of a request....I would LOVE Knoppix to be an easy graphical frontend to a MINIMAL (that's the key word here) install of Debian. There are ALOT of packages and programs installed by default that I have no use for and could do without. Yes I know I can remove them, but I'm talking about a request for convenience. Maybe just a simple installation of KDE/GNOME along with Synaptic configured with all of the needed package mirrors (and of course any programs that would help in setting up your system such as ethernet/adsl/printer/whatever).
If I run across any other problems I'll be sure to post them. Thanks for listening :P
Similar Threads
-
By Jan_L in forum German Forum
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-03-2005, 03:16 PM
-
By djtwok in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-16-2004, 02:49 PM
-
By Mr.Redhat in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-11-2004, 02:46 PM
-
By bxb32001 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 13
Last Post: 10-26-2003, 12:36 PM
-
By OverIP in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-22-2003, 10:15 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - fully working & authentic
$24.95

LOT OF 8 Samsung 32gb 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA RE3 12 DC1 Server Memory M393A4G43AB3
$1849.95

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1
$60.00

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM
$99.99

Samsung Galaxy Tab S10+ 12.4" 256GB 12GB Gray Wi-Fi AMOLED Android
$580.00

Samsung 870 EVO 4TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-77E4T0B/AM)
$310.00