Quote Originally Posted by HeadHolio
Second, everything was not in english...but I was warned beforehand so it didn't bother me too much.
Hmm that's odd. I've not had that happen before on an install. You did download the EN Knoppix .iso and not the DE version right? The only other thing I can suggest is making sure that before you install, you boot the cd with the following option: "lang=us"

Fourth, after installing Synaptic through apt-get, I could not load up my sources list. Synaptic would complain about not being able to read the file sources.list. Manually editing this file worked however.
Again odd. I've done quite a few installs and never had this happen. Anyone else?

Fifth, performing an "apt-get update" and then "apt-get upgrade world" would tell me that about 120 packages would be removed (mostly KDE packages with K3B being one of them). Knoppix should maintain a package mirror for the packages that it has installed by default so that these packages aren't removed.
Well like Dave B. I'm not so sure about the world option either. You sould realize that Knoppix is a mixture of Debian stable, testing, and unstable so you will run up against this problem often. Whenever I try installing a package that tells me it's about to remove a whole bunch of other programs I try one of the following options.

Note that in all the examples below I use the -s option. This tells apt to simulate the request and tell me what the results will be before I actually decide to go along with it. I find it's a helpful practice. Simply remove the -s when you are ready to actually go along with the install/upgrade

Code:
apt-get -s install program_name/unstable
This tells apt install the requested package from unstable. This will often solve the dependency removal issue, but not always.

Code:
apt-get -s -t unstable install program name
This tells apt to install the requested package from unstable AND resolve all dependencies from unstable as well. This often takes care your problems when apt-get install program_name/unstable won't.

Take my advice and AVOID going along with installs or upgrades that remove and don't just update scores of packages unless you really know what you are doing. I've borked KDE this way before.

There are some programs that you won't be able to find in the official debian trees. I recommend looking up stuff at www.apt-get.org. You can locate the repository you need here and add it to your /etc/apt/sources.list file.


Sixth, the bootup and shutdown voices are gone. When I replace the voices in the KDE setup (this involved setting arts to start automatically), they aren't heard before the KDE boot box starts (like the Knoppix CD), they are heard after KDE configures the devices and such. And, the shutdown voice gets cut off as KDE exits whereas the CD allows the voice to complete.
Read the following link on this issue.

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4156#19381

Good luck.