Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Copy iso to usb?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    30

    Copy iso to usb?

    Is it possible to copy a downloaded iso file directly to a usb drive without having to burn a dvd?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    110

    copy iso to usb

    hello WestCoast

    Your question is not so clear!...

    1- If you mean a simple "copy" (ie a "tranfer")

    a- you CANNOT copy on a FAT_FORMATTED a file
    longer than 4 Go (examples:knoppix_8*)

    b- you can otherwise: just copy!

    2- If you mean "installing knoppix for booting..."
    a- If your USB is a FLASH one, DVD_documentation
    says you CAN install knoppix "on the fly"
    when downloading.
    I never tested this method.
    b- If your USB is a HARD one I (and other ones)
    did not found a clear applicable method
    WITHOUT a CD_DVD burner.
    Please see the discussion at the link blow:

    http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/317...-to-Mr-KNOPPER

    I am sorry because I am not connected regularly
    and moreover I am not an expert.

    Good luck

    knp
    Last edited by knp; 12-10-2019 at 10:48 PM.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by westcoast View Post
    Is it possible to copy a downloaded iso file directly to a usb drive without having to burn a dvd?
    I usually use the live usb maker on antiX in dd mode

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    50
    PS: To load it onto a USB exactly as Knoppix would have done, you would need to boot that up and then make a 2nd flashdrive with Knoppix's menu option. I think maybe that when Knoppix creates a flashdrive it might set it up differently, but have never tried that myself. I always either run it from the flashdrive (if using it as a rescue disk) that I created or load it to the hard drive as an ISO and run it from there as I detailed in my other post.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    50
    If you are doing it from windows, try using a free program called Rufus to make the flashdrive. Try the defaults and if it won't boot you might have to try different settings. The other way I know of on windows is to use a program that writes a raw image to the usb.

    https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer picture

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer

$2999.99



Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503 picture

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503

$109.99



1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates picture

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates

$36.00



Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare picture

Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare

$179.00



Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board picture

Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board

$24.99



Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable picture

Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable

$75.00



VINTAGE 1970s SKIT Scientific Kit for Computer & Electronics SEALED INSIDE Rare picture

VINTAGE 1970s SKIT Scientific Kit for Computer & Electronics SEALED INSIDE Rare

$380.00



WICO Computer Command Apple II Analog Joystick Adaptor NOS 72-4525 picture

WICO Computer Command Apple II Analog Joystick Adaptor NOS 72-4525

$59.99



VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A picture

VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A

$22.67



Vintage HP 82166A HP-IL Converter Custom “The BOX” TTL/DAC Interface Controller picture

Vintage HP 82166A HP-IL Converter Custom “The BOX” TTL/DAC Interface Controller

$499.99