Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Copy iso to usb?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    30

    Copy iso to usb?

    Is it possible to copy a downloaded iso file directly to a usb drive without having to burn a dvd?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    110

    copy iso to usb

    hello WestCoast

    Your question is not so clear!...

    1- If you mean a simple "copy" (ie a "tranfer")

    a- you CANNOT copy on a FAT_FORMATTED a file
    longer than 4 Go (examples:knoppix_8*)

    b- you can otherwise: just copy!

    2- If you mean "installing knoppix for booting..."
    a- If your USB is a FLASH one, DVD_documentation
    says you CAN install knoppix "on the fly"
    when downloading.
    I never tested this method.
    b- If your USB is a HARD one I (and other ones)
    did not found a clear applicable method
    WITHOUT a CD_DVD burner.
    Please see the discussion at the link blow:

    http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/317...-to-Mr-KNOPPER

    I am sorry because I am not connected regularly
    and moreover I am not an expert.

    Good luck

    knp
    Last edited by knp; 12-10-2019 at 10:48 PM.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by westcoast View Post
    Is it possible to copy a downloaded iso file directly to a usb drive without having to burn a dvd?
    I usually use the live usb maker on antiX in dd mode

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    50
    PS: To load it onto a USB exactly as Knoppix would have done, you would need to boot that up and then make a 2nd flashdrive with Knoppix's menu option. I think maybe that when Knoppix creates a flashdrive it might set it up differently, but have never tried that myself. I always either run it from the flashdrive (if using it as a rescue disk) that I created or load it to the hard drive as an ISO and run it from there as I detailed in my other post.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    50
    If you are doing it from windows, try using a free program called Rufus to make the flashdrive. Try the defaults and if it won't boot you might have to try different settings. The other way I know of on windows is to use a program that writes a raw image to the usb.

    https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC picture

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC

$349.99



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Samsung 64gb DDR4 ECC 288-Pin DIMM PC4-3200AA M393A2K40EB3-CWEBY picture

Samsung 64gb DDR4 ECC 288-Pin DIMM PC4-3200AA M393A2K40EB3-CWEBY

$449.00



Samsung 32GB 2Rx4 DDR4 PC4-2133P M393A4K40BB0-CPB4Q ECC Server Memory Module picture

Samsung 32GB 2Rx4 DDR4 PC4-2133P M393A4K40BB0-CPB4Q ECC Server Memory Module

$150.00



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Lot of 4 8GB DDR4 PC4-2400T ECC Registered Server RAM 32GB 1Rx8 RDIMM MICRON picture

Lot of 4 8GB DDR4 PC4-2400T ECC Registered Server RAM 32GB 1Rx8 RDIMM MICRON

$149.99