Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: How do I make a cheat-code permanent on Knoppix 8.6.1?

  1. #1

    How do I make a cheat-code permanent on Knoppix 8.6.1?

    Summary:

    How do I make the following cheat-code permanent on knoppix 8.6.1 on usb stick,
    because filesystem type is iso9660 (read-only) and won't let me edit
    /mnt-system/boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg.

    Cheat code entered at boot prompt: knoppix xmodule=vesa


    Full Details:

    I've just put knoppix 8.6.1 on a usb stick (persistence was there by default).
    But X Window won't display unless I enter the cheat-code "knoppix xmodule=vesa"
    at the initial boot prompt.

    Incidentally, when using Knoppix 7.7.1 on a usb stick, on the EXACT SAME laptop
    (Acer Aspire 5755G), I don't need the cheat-code.

    I'd like to not have to type the cheat-code in every time I boot the 8.6.1, and
    believe that I can achieve that by adding "xmodule=vesa" as a kernel parameter
    on an "APPEND" line in /boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg.

    I can get to that file using the path
    /mnt-system/boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg.

    But it won't let me write to that file because /mnt-system is mounted read
    only. When I try to remount /mnt-system as read-write, it says "write-protected."

    /UNIONFS is mounted as read-write, but the path /UNIONFS/boot/isolinux/ does not
    exist.

    I understand that because partition 1 (the main Knoppix system) is filesystem
    type iso9660*, that it is by definition read-only. (*On which I believe
    /boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg sits).

    Main Question:

    So could you tell me please, what method I need to use to make my cheat-code
    permanent?

    Reason for Using 8.6.1:

    I'm trying out 8.6.1 because it has a newer kernel than 7.7.1, and I've read
    that a newer kernel might fix my problem of downloads halting when the lid is
    closed. I've already tried many lid disabling methods, but none of them prevent
    the downloading from halting.
    Last edited by winger9; 01-02-2020 at 10:26 PM. Reason: text improvement

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    29
    I do not understand fully your USB stick situation: has it more partitions, 1 containing the Knoppix system with ISO9660 fs (readonly, optical CD fs), and an other one that is rw (maybe FAT32) for persistence?
    If so, you cannot change the
    ISO9660 fs since it is like this: readonly.
    I recommend you to reformat the stick with GParted (for example) to FAT32 fs, and only 1 partition. Then install GRUB2 bootloader to stick (you can use SystemRescueCD). Make a boot directory in the root of the created partition. Store all your live systems here in "boot". Depending of the size of
    USB stick you can download and store many systems.
    Download Knoppix ISO. If you have enough memory, download in /tmp directory (in memory). Extract its whole content into boot/knx/KNOPPIX_NAME directory.
    Then create grub/grub.cfg file and enter in it the appropriate menuentries for Knoppix.
    In the same way you can download and start other live sytems with GRUB2 from the USB stick. You can use persistence, too.
    On the net you will find a lot of information about GRUB2, grub.cfg and menuentry examples for different systems. Also for Knoppix...
    If you take my advice and boot Knoppix in this way, I can give you (if you need) working menuentries for Knoppix, since I use it just in this way: started with GRUB2 from internal and external drives, USB sticks.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mysore, India
    Posts
    275
    Hello, Winger9, kindly accept my wellwishes.
    Have you searched exhaustively the forum threads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$378.00



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



** LOT OF 9 ** Micron MTA8ATF1G64AZ-2G6E1 8GB DDR4 PC4-2666V Desktop Memory picture

** LOT OF 9 ** Micron MTA8ATF1G64AZ-2G6E1 8GB DDR4 PC4-2666V Desktop Memory

$270.00



Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB picture

Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB

$124.95



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162) picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162)

$36.99



Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW picture

Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW

$1.39