type "sudo passwd" on a console, and enter the new root password.
[Edit]Don't think this will help...[/Edit]
I have booted knoppix 3.2-2003-09-26 on my laptop and on my workstation, these PC's are on a network and each knoppix desktop is using the network OK.
I have opened Xterm on the workstation and typed "sudo partimaged", and on the laptop I opened Xterm and typed "sudo partimage".
The problem is that on the laptop partimage keeps asking me for a username and password, I do not know the partimaged account details to get them working together.
I have used partimage to backup an NTFS partition into a file on a FAT32 partition on the same machine many times and it works OK.
I have not done it over a network before and I need some help from someone who has done this using 2 knoppix machines on a LAN.
Please Help anyone
Thanks,
JamesX110.................................
type "sudo passwd" on a console, and enter the new root password.
[Edit]Don't think this will help...[/Edit]
Hi James,
try this out:
On the workstation:
sudo
passwd partimag
Then you have to create a dir with write permission for the user "partimag".
Then start partimaged with the target-dir (I think parameter -d should do this?)
Then on the laptop:
sudo
partimage
If you are prompted for user and password you can enter username "partimag" and the matching password!
This should work!
Regards
RFC 0815
Thanks rfc0815 I'll give it a try...............
However I'm new to Linux and don't know how to create a directory with the appropriate permissions for a user, I'm going to read around and try to learn some command's and stuff but if anyone could tell me how to do it with an example Syntax I'd appreciate it
Laterz,
JamesX110.....................................![]()
' mkdir blah '
' chown partimag blah '
' chmod u+rwx blah '
' ls -l blah '
--More help can be found at my linuxtips site, look at the "www" icon at the bottom of my post. It's under "File manipulation" (but really should be in Changing file permissions; darn, I gotta reorg my website.)
Originally Posted by JamesX110
Thanks everyone, it's working perfectly now![]()
I'm new to Linux and am eager to ditch my Micro$haft OS as soon as I get to grips with Linux, but one thing I've learn't is that nothing is better than the Linux community for help and support![]()
I have only posted into Linux forums on the internet a couple of times for help but in nearly all cases I get a reply within minutes, that is spot on and sorts my issues out![]()
Thanks................ laterz,
JamesX............................................ ......................................![]()
I'm a beginner/idiottrying his best to his his way into linux.
I was making the attempt to do the same procedure as the individual bove. I created a FAT32 partition (hda10) on the server machine to save the ghosted image, ran knoppix on the client machine fine, and ran into the uname and password issue. Attempting to create a directory and set permissions for the partimag user generated the following:
root@ttyp1[home]# chown partimag /mnt/hda10/home
chown: changing ownership of `/mnt/hda10/home': Operation not permitted
I'm out of ideas since I've had ZERO experience with linux up until today, so if someone could help I'd really appreciate it...
Oh, I'm using the CD version of Knoppix on both machines btw. That's probably the source of my issue, but i can't see why.
--The problem you're experiencing is because FAT32 doesn't do permissions. Switch to a Linux-based partition/filesystem instead, like reiserfs (backup anything on HDA10 1st unless it's empty):
' umount /dev/hda10 '
' mkreiserfs /dev/hda10 '
' mount /mnt/hda10 -onotail,noatime ' == This *should* work but you might want to put those options in /etc/fstab...
' mkdir -p -v /mnt/hda10/home '
' chown partimag /mnt/hda10/home '
' ls -al /mnt/hda10 '
--Lemme know if it works.
Originally Posted by ejohns11
I had that feeling about FAT32 but i thought that things might be a little different since I was using linux.
One question before I proceed: will I be able to restore the backup to the client machine? It's NTFS and I know there have been some complications when it comes to writing to that file system from a linux based machine. I don't wanna wipe the client machine clean and never have the chance to go back to my old setup because i have a ghost that I can't even use.
Thanks,
E
Looks like I may have found my own solution.
Ghost to ReiserFS and then use Yareg - a ReiserFS partition explorer tool - to copy the data back to any windows based file system you want. It's found here:
http://yareg.akucom.de/
Just posting in case anyone runs into the same problem I do.
E

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)
$59.00
INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99
(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)
$700.00
Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested
$35.00
Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151
$79.99
Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99
Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
Intel Core i7-9700K Octa-Core 3.6 GHz Desktop CPU
$99.99
INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG
$299.99
Intel Core i7-6950X Extreme Edition 3.0GHz Processor SR2PA LGA2011 10 Core CPU
$162.95