--If you are using partimage or dd, there should be no problem writing to NTFS - both of those utils can write directly to the *disk*, instead of a mounted filesystem. Basically, dd and partimage *recreate* the filesystem from your backup; so you should be OK... As long as you are backing up " /dev/blah " and not " /mnt/blah/* " if you get my meaning.

Example:
' dd if=/dev/blah of=/mnt/hda10/home/ntfsbackup--hdaX--machinename-20041227.dd bs=5M '
' time gzip -9 /mnt/hda10/home/ntfsbackup--hdaX--machinename-20041227.dd & '

--You will also run into problems using Fat32 for a destination during backup, because it has a 2GB filesize limit. Best to use Reiserfs or Ext3, IMHO.

--When restoring, you should *ALWAYS* leave the destination partition (NTFS) unmounted(!) since it will be overwritten.

--BTW, it's also a good idea to have something like this along with the backup:
' fdisk -l > fdisk-l-thisbox-20041227.txt '

Quote Originally Posted by ejohns11
I had that feeling about FAT32 but i thought that things might be a little different since I was using linux.

One question before I proceed: will I be able to restore the backup to the client machine? It's NTFS and I know there have been some complications when it comes to writing to that file system from a linux based machine. I don't wanna wipe the client machine clean and never have the chance to go back to my old setup because i have a ghost that I can't even use.

Thanks,
E