-
The use of (promise) raid...
Hello, I've a problem when trying to boot my computer using the Knoppix CD. There is nothing wrong with the CD since it works on other computers.
But, it won´t boot my computer. The computer has a promise raidcontroller with two HD. C:/ and D:/. My Ide-channels are occupied with CDRW and DVD. And of course two free Ide-channels. I don´t want to move the HD:s from the raidcontroller to the free IDE.
Since I read in this forum, about problem using Raid, I know that it's very tricky to boot when there is a raidcontroller involved. But is there a way of booting my computer at all? And if there is ....HOW????
I already tried "knoppix nosmb" but the computer only tries to mount my HD:s..on and on.
Please help me
/Academic (new to Linux)
-
Senior Member
registered user
Greetings academic,
Would a floppy boot be acceptable to your use?
The floppy boot image is included on the KNOPPIX CD.
"Cheat codes" can be put in to modify the file syslinux.cfg
A more elegent solution may be to boot from usb if your
bios supports this. Just a thought -- actually I have never
done that.
As far as Raid -- I have little knowledge.
Best Wishes
paradocs
-
I'm a newbie my self but I've had raid arrays on my box and knoppix discs booted no problem. I just made sure the hardware boot sequence in bios had my cdrom booting before hard drives or other boot devices. 2nd after floppy is where i have my atapi cdrom in the boot sequence.
Similar Threads
-
By Linuxtester in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-06-2004, 04:37 PM
-
By mbl in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-03-2004, 12:24 PM
-
By newellrp1 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-29-2004, 11:54 PM
-
By pmxcrw in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-26-2003, 01:33 PM
-
By elbe in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-10-2003, 03:51 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$398.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.6" Full HD Laptop - Intel Processor N355 2025- 8G...
$349.99

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...
$679.99

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 2-in-1 16" WUXGA Touch Ryzen 7 8845HS 16GB 512GB SSD FPReader
$571.00

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good
$261.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11
$229.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L380 13.3” Touchscreen Laptop Core i3 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11
$199.99