Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: newbie problem, Microsoft Proxy Manager on Server

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    13

    newbie problem, Microsoft Proxy Manager on Server

    I am testing Knoppix to see if we might be able to gradually move from MS to Linxux :P. I am learning as I go and may ask a silly question.

    Please bear with me ... I am not the IT person here, just a person who is not pleased with our present IT systems. We are likely to do an upgrade over the next year and I would prefer we had a choice.

    Our company is quite conservative so I don't want to change too much in the network before I can show that Linux on the desktop will work for us. All http traffic runs through MS Proxy on our server (NT/Exchange).

    Is there some way to bypass this MS Proxy to the internet? I would prefer not to get into a spat with our IT guy to change the network and put a router or to put me on a separate subnet.

    I am also not able to mount our file server via smb. Knoppix says that some daemon/service isn't running. I can read all the files on c:\
    Can someone enlighten me?

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    12
    I am not an expert myself, but I do run a Linux system in a big company whose official desktop is Windows 2000. What I did was obtain the proxy server settings to access the internet through the firewall. What you can do is for the web is open Internet Explorer, then go to Tools, Internet Options, Connections, Lan Settings, then Proxy Server information. Write this information down then open Mozilla and go to Edit, Preferences, Advanced, Proxies, and type the information here. You can do the same with FTP if you need that program outside the firewall. Open WS_FTP, CuteFTP, FileZilla, etc. and obtain the proxy server settings from that program and then in Linux type the information into the program you want to use (Konqueror, gFTP, KBear, etc.).

    As far as Samba/SMB is concerned, here at my company I have to ping the name of the server ("ping server.address.company.com", for example) to obtain the IP address of the server I want to connect to, then in Konqueror, type "smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/" where the xxxx's is the IP address of the server, it, that is, the server allows connections from outside the server's group, because you computer has probably not authenticated to the network.

    I know it ain't much, but I hope it helps a little bit.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    13
    Thank you for your tips.

    As I understand from speaking with our IT person, MS Proxy Manager need you to "log in" to the proxy.(?) This is unusual since every other proxy I have come across doesn't.

    Are you running Microsoft Proxy Client? Or are you just going through a server proxy? i.e. http://server:80 in the IE Prefs;Connections;Network?

    MS Proxy Manager and Proxy Client is weird.

    Thanks again.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    13
    I just found this site which was discussed in another message in this forum.

    http://apserver.sourceforge.net/

    Now to figure out how to make it work.

Similar Threads

  1. Question regarding proxy server
    By X_ArchAngel in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2005, 09:25 PM
  2. Using Knoppix 3.6 with a proxy server
    By phuqmnb in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-23-2004, 05:59 PM
  3. Installing f-prot when behind a proxy server?
    By MaldiGola in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-10-2004, 03:45 AM
  4. Unable to connect to proxy server
    By johar in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-15-2003, 08:40 PM
  5. Knoppix as proxy server
    By NBCthreat in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-15-2003, 12:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Acer Aspire 14

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb

$482.02



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$372.48



External SSD 1TB 2TB  Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$24.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 2 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 2 15.6" Touchscreen i7-1165G7 16GB 1TB SSD Win 11 Pro

$319.99



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1794.16



Apple iPad Pro 12.9

Apple iPad Pro 12.9" 5th Gen 128GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Wi-Fi Or Cellular - Good

$489.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



SGIN 15.6

SGIN 15.6" Laptop 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Win 11 Intel i3-10100Y Backlit Keyboard FHD

$335.99



Dell ST91000640SS 1TB 2.5

Dell ST91000640SS 1TB 2.5" 6Gb/s 64MB 7.2K RPM SAS Hard Drive Dell P/N: 0VXTPX

$16.99