-
Changing free space
Yesterday I received and "installed" the Knoppix CD on a WinMe machine with a 20G drive and 64mb of RAM. During the install, I was prompted to enter, what I think, was the amount of free disk space to use. The option was to pick a number between 60 and 120, I chose 60. After it was setup, it seemed to be running quite slowly, so I found (again, I think) where I could change the amount of free disk space and increased it to 120. It doesnt seem to have made much difference.
Is this because there is only 64mb of RAM (is it even related to this). I think I have correctly changed the option (it was under config or system config), is there another or proper method of doing this.
Thanks in anticipation.
-
You're right. When running from the cd, anything less than 128 RAM triggers the creation of a swap file, knoppix.swp, if it doesn't already exist.
It works okay but isn't as good as 128 RAM. Even more RAM is better, of course.
If you decide to put a persistent home directory on a memory stick, use some of the stick for the swap file. I'm using a 256 lexar jumpdrive (?). I have a 128 MB "persistent home" (knoppix.img) and a 60 MB knoppix.swp.
-
Senior Member
registered user
--Putting swap on a USB memory stick is not a good idea, it decreases the lifetime of the device due to the limited # of writes the technology supports.

Originally Posted by
bitey
You're right. When running from the cd, anything less than 128 RAM triggers the creation of a swap file, knoppix.swp, if it doesn't already exist.
It works okay but isn't as good as 128 RAM. Even more RAM is better, of course.
If you decide to put a persistent home directory on a memory stick, use some of the stick for the swap file. I'm using a 256 lexar jumpdrive (?). I have a 128 MB "persistent home" (knoppix.img) and a 60 MB knoppix.swp.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Dave_Bechtel
--Putting swap on a USB memory stick is not a good idea, it decreases the lifetime of the device due to the limited # of writes the technology supports.
Agree. I would rather like to have KNOPPIX 'steal' the swap from the local harddisk(if the fs is compatible for such things as loopback file) and hopefully the script can be changed to use crypto loop on it so all it will be leaving behind is a big file with random content to the nake eye. Of course, this would not be good for forensic usage so some cheat code to enable/disable this feature, along the line of 'knoppix/expert [options]' becomes 'forensic [options]' to make it easier to choose from the menu.
Similar Threads
-
By wiccaan in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-30-2005, 01:04 AM
-
By CrashedAgain in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-10-2005, 05:18 AM
-
By Cuddles in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 08-24-2004, 03:22 PM
-
By Rapt0r in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-16-2004, 12:01 PM
-
By stukennedyuk in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-07-2004, 12:53 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99

ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series
$235.99

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P
$71.49

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99

Asus Prime B660M-A AC D4 Motherboard Intel LGA 1700 14th 13th 12th Gen DDR4
$79.99

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99

Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Motherboard
$54.99