Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Possible Bug : Question on the shutdown and log off scripts

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    21

    Possible Bug : Question on the shutdown and log off scripts

    I have a problem with shutting down from Knoppix vs. 3.2 7-26 a HD Install. When I log off or shutdown from KDE it locks up. BUT if I run a shutdown or reboot from the SHELL it works perfectly shutsdown just fine. If anyone could help with this, it would be greatly appreciated. maybe there could be something I could change in the shutdown script or log off script.
    Thanks in advance. All in all I love this version of Knoppix. Keep up the good work. Kan't wait for the knext version.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Iowa U.S.A.
    Posts
    226
    Greetings johncarlson21,

    I expect the shut down process has to with
    running in the CD mode. When I shut down
    I get to press enter and then it thanks you
    by letting you have you knoppix disk.

    Read the 143 line shut down procedure in the file
    /etc/init.d/knoppix-halt

    It looks a bit complicated but it is doing it by the
    books for a multi-user system. In the old days
    the disk pack read write head floated on a cushion
    of air. An improper spin down sequence had a very
    high likelihood of doing big damage.

    What I like most about KNOPPIX is not having
    to look at that M$ screen -- telling me that if
    I had only shut down properly, I would not have
    to stare at the progress bars.

    Since I operate from CD I rather enjoy killing
    every thing with the good old power switch

    Best Wishes
    paradocs

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    21
    Thanks I will take a look at it and check that out....

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    21
    I didn't see anything in there that would help me but it would be greatly appreciated if someone could help me.....

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Possible Bug : Question on the shutdown and log off scri

    "Doctor, when I do this my arm falls off!"
    (Doctor) Don't do that then...

    -Just kidding.

    --Personally, if that's what it takes to shutdown correctly, you can try hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del. If it's defined correctly in /etc/inittab, it will shutdown the system.

    ( From /etc/inittab )
    ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -h now

    --Some people have ' shutdown -r now ' which reboots instead.

    Quote Originally Posted by johncarlson21
    I have a problem with shutting down from Knoppix vs. 3.2 7-26 a HD Install. When I log off or shutdown from KDE it locks up. BUT if I run a shutdown or reboot from the SHELL it works perfectly shutsdown just fine. If anyone could help with this, it would be greatly appreciated. maybe there could be something I could change in the shutdown script or log off script.
    Thanks in advance. All in all I love this version of Knoppix. Keep up the good work. Kan't wait for the knext version.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    21

    That is a possibility

    I could do that I suppose but I really would like to get the stupid thing to work right anyway...... I don't understand it worked fine in version 3.1 I guess I don't know what the difference could be...

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: That is a possibility

    --Your best bet may be to go to the KDE site and look for a bugreport on it. If there isn't one, file one so they know about the problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by johncarlson21
    I could do that I suppose but I really would like to get the stupid thing to work right anyway...... I don't understand it worked fine in version 3.1 I guess I don't know what the difference could be...

Similar Threads

  1. Startup Scripts
    By coindood in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-26-2004, 02:34 AM
  2. Auto running scripts off a remastered CD question.
    By colinmc151 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-10-2003, 11:40 PM
  3. Scripts for Live-CD
    By flamesrock in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-29-2003, 03:17 AM
  4. Firewall Scripts
    By khalid in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-21-2003, 01:53 PM
  5. Problems with x - Boot-shutdown... Boot-shutdown...Boot-shut
    By _CaLeB_ in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-31-2003, 06:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$334.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core i5-1135G7@2.40GHz Laptop picture

Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core [email protected] Laptop

$220.36



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$398.99



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...

$679.99



Lenovo ThinkPad X13 Gen 3 13.3” FHD Laptop Intel i5 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad X13 Gen 3 13.3” FHD Laptop Intel i5 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11

$299.85



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50