-
Junior Member
registered user
Possible Bug : Question on the shutdown and log off scripts
I have a problem with shutting down from Knoppix vs. 3.2 7-26 a HD Install. When I log off or shutdown from KDE it locks up. BUT if I run a shutdown or reboot from the SHELL it works perfectly shutsdown just fine. If anyone could help with this, it would be greatly appreciated. maybe there could be something I could change in the shutdown script or log off script.
Thanks in advance. All in all I love this version of Knoppix. Keep up the good work. Kan't wait for the knext version.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Greetings johncarlson21,
I expect the shut down process has to with
running in the CD mode. When I shut down
I get to press enter and then it thanks you
by letting you have you knoppix disk.
Read the 143 line shut down procedure in the file
/etc/init.d/knoppix-halt
It looks a bit complicated but it is doing it by the
books for a multi-user system. In the old days
the disk pack read write head floated on a cushion
of air. An improper spin down sequence had a very
high likelihood of doing big damage.
What I like most about KNOPPIX is not having
to look at that M$ screen -- telling me that if
I had only shut down properly, I would not have
to stare at the progress bars.
Since I operate from CD I rather enjoy killing
every thing with the good old power switch
Best Wishes
paradocs
-
Junior Member
registered user
Thanks I will take a look at it and check that out....
-
Junior Member
registered user
I didn't see anything in there that would help me but it would be greatly appreciated if someone could help me.....
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Possible Bug : Question on the shutdown and log off scri
"Doctor, when I do this my arm falls off!"
(Doctor) Don't do that then...
-Just kidding. 
--Personally, if that's what it takes to shutdown correctly, you can try hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del. If it's defined correctly in /etc/inittab, it will shutdown the system.
( From /etc/inittab )
ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -h now
--Some people have ' shutdown -r now ' which reboots instead.

Originally Posted by
johncarlson21
I have a problem with shutting down from Knoppix vs. 3.2 7-26 a HD Install. When I log off or shutdown from KDE it locks up. BUT if I run a shutdown or reboot from the SHELL it works perfectly shutsdown just fine. If anyone could help with this, it would be greatly appreciated. maybe there could be something I could change in the shutdown script or log off script.
Thanks in advance. All in all I love this version of Knoppix. Keep up the good work. Kan't wait for the knext version.
-
Junior Member
registered user
That is a possibility
I could do that I suppose but I really would like to get the stupid thing to work right anyway...... I don't understand it worked fine in version 3.1 I guess I don't know what the difference could be...
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: That is a possibility
--Your best bet may be to go to the KDE site and look for a bugreport on it. If there isn't one, file one so they know about the problem. 

Originally Posted by
johncarlson21
I could do that I suppose but I really would like to get the stupid thing to work right anyway...... I don't understand it worked fine in version 3.1 I guess I don't know what the difference could be...
Similar Threads
-
By coindood in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-26-2004, 02:34 AM
-
By colinmc151 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-10-2003, 11:40 PM
-
By flamesrock in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-29-2003, 03:17 AM
-
By khalid in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-21-2003, 01:53 PM
-
By _CaLeB_ in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-31-2003, 06:20 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OEM Genuine 42Wh WDX0R For DELL Inspiron WDXOR Battery 15 5567 5568 13 5368 7368
$22.99

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5501 5410 5510 E5411 E5511
$28.99

Lot of 10OEM Dell Latitude 5420 5520 63WH Battery RJ40G M033W - Excellent
$175.00

New Dell OEM Inspiron 15 3511 15.6" Battery 11.25V 41Wh 3467mAh G91J0 MGCM5
$44.95

OEM Genuine 86WH 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17
$45.49

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5411 15 5501 5511 Precision 3541
$35.78

OEM 74WH 357F9 Battery For Dell Inspiron 15 7559 i7559 7557 i7557 5577 7567 5576
$26.99

OEM Genuine 86Wh 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17
$35.99

OEM YRDD6 Battery For Dell Inspiron 3582 3593 3793 5493 5584 5593 5480 5590 5594
$15.02

OEM Genuine 63WH RJ40G Battery For Dell Latitude 5420 5520 Precision 3560 M033W
$31.69