Great start, Andrei. You have a conversational writing style which is clear and unintimidating - precisely what is needed here.

I have only a couple of comments, and they go to picky issues. First, there are a couple of places where you use the words "loose" and "loosing", where I think you mean "lose" and "losing" (as in losing your data because your power cord was loose).

In another area, I think it's the second paragraph of the section where you talk about the virtues of Knoppix and why your sysadmin shouldn't object, you use "too" where you should use "to", and vice versa. You say, " your system administrator should not object to strenuously too you trying it out ", but it should read, "your system administrator should not object too strenuously to you trying it out."

Anyway, should be a simple fix with a search and replace. I hope you continue with subsequent chapters on other topice (e.g., the one I had the most trouble with as a newbie was setting up my printers).