Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Newbie Knoppix Terminal Server question.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1

    Newbie Knoppix Terminal Server question.

    Hi All,
    I have a newbie question about Knoppix terminal services. Is there a way to have a Windows 98 machine connect to the Knoppix terminal server and run a session ? Is there some type of client software that can be used ? I more familar with Windows 2000 Terminal servers. Thanks for your time.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: Newbie Knoppix Terminal Server question.

    Quote Originally Posted by jcchains
    Hi All,
    I have a newbie question about Knoppix terminal services. Is there a way to have a Windows 98 machine connect to the Knoppix terminal server and run a session ? Is there some type of client software that can be used ? I more familar with Windows 2000 Terminal servers. Thanks for your time.
    Hmm. I would suggest using either VNC or installing cigwin and then logging into your knoppix box with ssh and forwarding X over to the win 98 box.

    P.S. Sorry but we don't allow cross posting in the forums. I deleted the other post. It's best to take up the discussion here.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Is there a way to get termnal server working with the HDD install, or does it only work from the CD?

    Disgruntled,

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    Is there a way to get termnal server working with the HDD install, or does it only work from the CD?

    Disgruntled,
    Yikes. You posted on this issue a lot. Did you read the response I gave you over here:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...=1502&start=45

    That needs to be dealt with.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Yes, I just can't believe it! I was setting up a server at school just for this purpose. What good is it to use PXE to connect to a CD?

    Sorry I got carried away....

    Arrggghhhh,

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    Yes, I just can't believe it! I was setting up a server at school just for this purpose. What good is it to use PXE to connect to a CD?

    Sorry I got carried away....

    Arrggghhhh,
    I agree it's frustrating. Maybe just try installing LTSP itself. haven't used it myself, but it seems to have good documentation. Just an option anyway.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Thanx, I think I'll do just that!

    Regards,

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    11

    If you just want xforwarding

    Ghezz...

    if all you wan't is X forwarding just use X..

    on win98 etc
    get cygwin www.cygwin.com

    and install the X packages
    (it seems like the installer hangs if you click on the X section ... but it doesn't... just wait for a while (10 min on slower boxes!)

    then
    turn on xforwarding... on the server
    (I think the command is something like xhost +ipaddress or range)

    then on the computer you are using as a terminal type something like:
    X --query ipaddress of host

    www.subverted.net/wakka
    and search for x forwarding... Or... goto google and type X forwarding in...

    I think Knoppix uses LTSP to serve the images that it shares... and then nfs mounts the cd-rom

    It's usefull for rescuing an entire computer lab in a pinch... geez..

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix Terminal Server
    By glug in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-18-2005, 01:52 AM
  2. Knoppix Terminal Server
    By glug in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-15-2005, 09:01 AM
  3. Knoppix Terminal Server
    By globaltekit in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-08-2005, 06:13 PM
  4. Newbie question: Determinig X-server version?
    By freddys in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-20-2004, 05:59 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-18-2004, 04:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations  Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981 picture

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981

$295.00



Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer picture

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer

$419.99



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ* picture

Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ*

$80.00



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Vintage AppleCare Protection Plan Box for Mac Model 607-3517 COLLECTIBLE ONLY picture

Vintage AppleCare Protection Plan Box for Mac Model 607-3517 COLLECTIBLE ONLY

$20.00



Apple Macintosh Boot Disk System [1.0 - 8.0] 400/800k/1.4 Floppy for Vintage Mac picture

Apple Macintosh Boot Disk System [1.0 - 8.0] 400/800k/1.4 Floppy for Vintage Mac

$11.75



Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed picture

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed

$69.95



Vintage (1979) Sanyo VM-4209 ‘Videoscope’ Monitor - Working picture

Vintage (1979) Sanyo VM-4209 ‘Videoscope’ Monitor - Working

$325.00



Vintage 1986 Goldenrod Research Corp CP/M Desktop Computer Syste w/Keyboard picture

Vintage 1986 Goldenrod Research Corp CP/M Desktop Computer Syste w/Keyboard

$350.00