Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: HD Install won't boot

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2

    HD Install won't boot

    Greetings.

    Downloaded 2003-07-26 this morning. Burned CD in K3b in 2003-06-06 HD install. Booted new disk. Booted just fine. Ran through the new knoppix-installer script. When asked about LILO, I chose to put it to MBR. When install finished, I tried to boot from hd. I get an L followed by 10 lines of "99"s. Looks something like:

    L 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99
    99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99
    99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 9
    9 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99

    You get the idea...Then nothing.

    Any help appreciated.

    Peace,
    Phillip

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    37
    I've had the same issue before but not directly after an install. I've heard that booting from a dos boot disk and doing fdisk /mbr will fix the issue, and it did once for me. But I have the same issue currently and it didn't work this time. I'm working on installing grub as lilo has been giving me nothing but trouble. I'll let you know how it goes.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2
    UPDATE:

    I booted the CD again and ran the originall knx-hdinstall script, choosing the same options for LILO (and whatever else is common), and then rebooted. This time, LILO came up okay and I was able to boot into the HD install. In fact, I'm using Mozilla to write this.

    Peace,
    Phillip

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    yep, its just an broken MBR. seen it before, with winblow$ too. sometimes it only gives 00 or 99 or - whatever, i've seen it all

Similar Threads

  1. How to boot to runlevel 5 after hdd install.
    By rniles in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-23-2004, 01:50 AM
  2. Can't boot HD-install
    By SGT geek in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-31-2004, 04:54 PM
  3. Hdd-install and grub boot??
    By Ish Rattan in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-25-2004, 10:31 PM
  4. Knoppix doesn't boot after knx-install
    By orvil in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 02:09 PM
  5. install with ap-get from cd boot
    By jmpereira in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2003, 12:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i7-8700T SR3WX 2.40GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-8700T SR3WX 2.40GHz Processor

$65.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i5-12400 Processor SRL4V picture

Intel Core i5-12400 Processor SRL4V

$115.00



AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



intel core ultra 7 265 picture

intel core ultra 7 265

$210.00



Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor picture

Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor

$150.00