-
HD Install won't boot
Greetings.
Downloaded 2003-07-26 this morning. Burned CD in K3b in 2003-06-06 HD install. Booted new disk. Booted just fine. Ran through the new knoppix-installer script. When asked about LILO, I chose to put it to MBR. When install finished, I tried to boot from hd. I get an L followed by 10 lines of "99"s. Looks something like:
L 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99
99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99
99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 9
9 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99
You get the idea...Then nothing.
Any help appreciated.
Peace,
Phillip
-
I've had the same issue before but not directly after an install. I've heard that booting from a dos boot disk and doing fdisk /mbr will fix the issue, and it did once for me. But I have the same issue currently and it didn't work this time. I'm working on installing grub as lilo has been giving me nothing but trouble. I'll let you know how it goes.
-
UPDATE:
I booted the CD again and ran the originall knx-hdinstall script, choosing the same options for LILO (and whatever else is common), and then rebooted. This time, LILO came up okay and I was able to boot into the HD install. In fact, I'm using Mozilla to write this.
Peace,
Phillip
-
Senior Member
registered user
yep, its just an broken MBR. seen it before, with winblow$ too. sometimes it only gives 00 or 99 or - whatever, i've seen it all
Similar Threads
-
By rniles in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-23-2004, 01:50 AM
-
By SGT geek in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 16
Last Post: 10-31-2004, 04:54 PM
-
By Ish Rattan in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-25-2004, 10:31 PM
-
By orvil in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-29-2003, 02:09 PM
-
By jmpereira in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-08-2003, 12:28 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$169.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge R640 8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU
$315.00

Dell PowerEdge R740 E38S001 Server E38S
$660.00

8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU
$1100.00