Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 45

Thread: New version 2003-09-05

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by MattT
    experimental 3.3 prerelease
    Here we go again. Seems like people were just getting over the switch from 3.1 to 3.2 not too long ago.

    cloop 1.02 (block layer rewrite)
    Could someone please explain what this means to average Knoppix user.
    Thanks
    I hope the rewrite would allow KNOPPIX on NTFS as well as preparing for the 2.6 kernel and solving a reported problem with 2.4.22 kernel(seems to be so as it is included in the new build). This would be the one must have enhancement if that is what I expected.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    Is KDE 3.1.3 included? And other packageupdates?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    10
    garyng,


    There may be some confusion. According to http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/ Linux still does not fully support NTFS writing. 2.5.x and 2.6 will have better read support, but still have limited write support (same file, not file size changes)


    I think to improve NTFS support we needto help out http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by asjones
    garyng,


    There may be some confusion. According to http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/ Linux still does not fully support NTFS writing. 2.5.x and 2.6 will have better read support, but still have limited write support (same file, not file size changes)


    I think to improve NTFS support we needto help out http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/
    I didn't mean write support but able to put KNOPPIX(the big cloop file) on a NTFS partition. Right now, it is not possible(at least for me) using the stock driver as either it segment fault when insmod cloop.o file=/mnt/NTFS/KNOPPIX or stall later when accessed. This seems to be related to how the block reading code in cloop.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Why not get rid of NTFS all together! Wipe all your drives of this scourge on the world of personal computing!! Let us remove this god forsaken M$ WINDOZE virus from all PCs within our reach, say I!!!

    Baring that, just reinstall on VFAT32...

    Revolting,

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    39
    Na NTFS is cool, it's Windows that's crap. Don't confuse the two.

    Q

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    Why not get rid of NTFS all together! Wipe all your drives of this scourge on the world of personal computing!! Let us remove this god forsaken M$ WINDOZE virus from all PCs within our reach, say I!!!

    Baring that, just reinstall on VFAT32...

    Revolting,
    On many machine(new especially), NTFS is the only fs that comes installed with XP and takes up the whole HD. Removing it means XP would be gone which is too radical a change for many people. I am pretty happy with the poorman's install way of running KNOPPIX/linux and it is a much better way to have linux to be having a chance on average desktop. Of course, I always have a large enough FAT32 as C: which is a rule I set to myself dated back from my old days of running OS/2, NT, 95/3.1 all on the same machine. I agree with you though that FAT is a must have on any HD.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    Why not get rid of NTFS all together! Wipe all your drives of this scourge on the world of personal computing!! Let us remove this god forsaken M$ WINDOZE virus from all PCs within our reach, say I!!!

    Baring that, just reinstall on VFAT32...

    Revolting,
    On many machine(new especially), NTFS is the only fs that comes installed with XP and takes up the whole HD. Removing it means XP would be gone which is too radical a change for many people. I am pretty happy with the poorman's install way of running KNOPPIX/linux and it is a much better way to have linux to be having a chance on average desktop. Of course, I always have a large enough FAT32 as C: which is a rule I set to myself dated back from my old days of running OS/2, NT, 95/3.1 all on the same machine. I agree with you though that FAT is a must have on any HD.

    Well actually...You can use Partion Magic (such a wonderful Utility) to Resize that partion in XP so you could shrink your main partition. Then add another with the left over space or let the knoppix installer do it.
    http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/pmdetails.cfm
    ~y $0.02

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypherz
    Well actually...You can use Partion Magic (such a wonderful Utility) to Resize that partion in XP so you could shrink your main partition. Then add another with the left over space or let the knoppix installer do it.
    http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/pmdetails.cfm
    ~y $0.02
    Well because I am in the process of switching to free as freedom as well as free lunch, buying something else(XP usually comes with the machine, which is not a negociable item) is against this

    qtparted is supposed to be able to do the same, btw.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    OK, I downloaded 20030905 because I really wanted to try the new toram cheat to speed things up. I just burned and booted the new CD and find it slow booting and sluggish to use. Am I just spoiled with my hdinstall? Anyone else find this CD slow? I haven't tried toram yet as my home PC doesn't have enough ram, but my PCs at school do!
    I guess I was spoiled, this CD works great in my lab! I just used it to do a Poor Man Dual Boot and, Houston, we've got sound!! Alleluia!!!

    Regards,

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Version 3.3 2003-09-24 - Small Bug Fix.
    By Stephen in forum News
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-26-2003, 06:18 PM
  2. knoppix 3.3 (2003-09-22 version) does not support HT?
    By tianhm in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-10-2003, 06:18 AM
  3. Problems with new version of Knoppix (2003.07.26)
    By tomboc in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-06-2003, 03:59 AM
  4. Version 3.2-2003-04-15
    By Stephen in forum News
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-29-2003, 05:08 AM
  5. Downloading version 3.2-2003-04-10
    By felipe_lopes in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-16-2003, 03:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00



Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK picture

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK

$154.99